[OSList] When did you first hear about OST?

Rosa Zubizarreta via OSList oslist at lists.openspacetech.org
Wed Dec 17 21:02:48 PST 2014

Hey Harold!  I'm smiling about the OS-Rainbow Gathering connection!

I had my first intensive gathering experience in 1981, in Washington State,
then in 1983 in Michigan's Upper Peninsula. Have been to a few more since
then...

About a decade later, when I attended my first Open Space -- the
Organization Transformation Conference
in Napa, I believe it was 1994 or 1995 -- and met Harrison in person, I
remember telling him
that I was blown away that "he had figured out how to hold a Rainbow
Gathering indoors". :-)

The next time I was at a Gathering... it may have been a regional in New
Mexico a few years
later? I remember talking with some of my long-time gathering friends, and
telling that there was this
crazy thing that they could do with organizations, helping them hold
Rainbow-Gathering-like events
indoors... I think they thought I was nuts!

*1. when did you first hear about os or ost?*

1994 or 1995, in the Bay Area, saw Harrison's book at my friend Kim Rosa's
house.
I read it all in one sitting, then called him up using the phone number in
the back of the book,
and was blown away when he answered the phone. I told him I'd just finished
reading his book,
and really wanted to experience this... he asked me where I was calling
from,
and then told me that I was in luck since the conference in Napa was going
to be happening soon...

*2. what was the hook?  how did you notice it might have value?*

I think it was somewhere on day two, when I really got that if something
wasn't being offered,
it was up to me to do something about it. Some friends and I offered a
session or two.
It was a blast....  The closing was really amazing also, a huge circle,
then snake-dancing through the building,
turning the energy outward toward the world, feeling this huge circle at
our back...

*3. when did you notice that you'd started letting it inform how you live?*
I think that first OST gathering was it...
it's been a huge reinforcement ever since then,
for my already-present tendency to "listen inside" for where I need to be...

*4. what has happened since then?  what difference does it seem to make?*

some time shortly after that initial encounter, a friend and I offered a
one-day OS gathering for
the education reform non-profit I was working at, that was going through
major re-org.
It was small, but very meaningful...

I remember going to some OS training with Harrison in SF, maybe in 1998?
Then in 1999, I assisted my friend Tom Atlee with another one-day OS event
that he was hosting in the Bay Area...

At the time, I remember worrying at that OS had "spoiled" me, as I had been
wanting
to go back to school for a master's in OD, as a way of moving into
consulting work...
However, after experiencing OS I was worried that I would not be able
to deal with a program that was not open to self-organization!

Fortunately, I ended up finding Sonoma State University's great OD program,
which is quite open to dialogic processes... :-)  :-) :-)  Got to play with
Future Search
and other good stuff there. And, in 2000 I encountered Dynamic Facilitation,
which is particularly useful and fun for small groups working on complex
issues.

I didn't connect with this list until a few years ago when my friend Peggy
mentioned
it to me. Mostly lurk but occasionally comment.

I've been on the hosting team for a few conferences
in Austria using Art of Hosting, where we do some OS,
but I wouldn't really count that as hosting a multi-day OS gathering,
which is where I feel the real juice is...
and which I've only attended so far, not hosted.
So I'm very much an amateur in the OS world...

with all best wishes,

Rosa

*Rosa Zubizarreta*

*Diapraxis: Facilitating Creative Collaborationhttp://www.diapraxis.com
<http://www.diapraxis.com/>*

On Wed, Dec 17, 2014 at 3:01 PM, Harold Shinsato via OSList <