[OSList] How do we define LURKER?

Michael M Pannwitz via OSList oslist at lists.openspacetech.org
Sun Dec 14 14:53:37 PST 2014

Wikipedia has this:

> In Internet culture, a lurker is typically a member of an online
> community who observes, but does not actively participate.[1][2] The
> exact definition depends on context. Lurkers make up a large
> proportion of all users in online communities.[3] Lurking allows
> users to learn the conventions of an online community before they
> actively participate, improving their socialization when they
> eventually de-lurk.[4] However, a lack of social contact while
> lurking sometimes causes loneliness or apathy among lurkers.[5]
>
> Lurkers are referred to using many names, including browsers,
> read-only participants, non-public participants, legitimate
> peripheral participants, or vicarious learners

The German wikipedia also cites a study

> Einer Untersuchung von Christian Stegbauer und Alexander Rausch aus
> dem Jahr 2000 zufolge stellen auf wissenschaftlichen Mailinglisten
> Lurker immer die Mehrheit der Teilnehmer. Verharren Teilnehmer lange
> in der Position als Lurker, wird die Wahrscheinlichkeit, dass sie
> sich aktiv beteiligen, verschwindend gering.

which, in a nutshell, makes the point that if a lurker remains in a
lurking mode for a long time the probability of "coming out" diminishes.

Perhaps Dan's game, which resulted in a good number of diverse responses
so far, might have opened sufficient space for lurkers to come out of
the shadow... of course, in live os events you see the butterflies and
can just walk up to them, which does - I have experienced and heard -
opens up bags full of surprises.

Greetings from Berlin
mmp

On 14.12.2014 23:15, ingrid ebeling ebus via OSList wrote:
> [...]
>>> hands, the folks with better things to do, anyone really...to
>>> respond to this message with a "present" if you would like to be
>>> noted as attending to this virtual space.
>>>
>>> I know it won't solve the exiting problem but it might perhaps
>>> give a sense of scale to the ratio of talkers to the silent.
>>>
>>> Erik - present
>>>
>>> *
>>>

>> REFLECTING ON THE ROLL CALL
>>
>>> On Nov 29, 2009, at 2:01 PM, Erik Fabian
>>> <erik at DOUBLEHAPPINESSNYC.COM
>>> <mailto:erik at DOUBLEHAPPINESSNYC.COM>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> 1st thing: I don't mean to stop the Roll Call if folks would
>>> still like to chime in. Feel welcome.
>>>
>>> 2nd: I was quite struck by the 100+ voices that have called
>>> present so far in the Roll Call. Your responses reoriented my
>>> sense of scale on this list and created a fascinating moment
>>> where I didn't know what was going to happen next...I felt like
>>> I watching a filibuster or something.
>>>
>>> I was also struck by the sense of willingness to continue to be
>>> present in this OSLIST conversation despite disagreements, other
>>> options, shyness, busy lives, etc. That felt like some kind of
>>> bedrock to me.
>>>
>>> The momentum has slowed and the thread has mixed back into the
>>> stream of multiple conversations on the list.  I have also
>>> started to hear some reflection from Michael (here:
>>> http://tinyurl.com/ygupaax) & Harold (here:
>>> http://tinyurl.com/ykx3scs) and so it seems appropriate to put
>>> out a broader invitation to reflect on the Roll Call.
>>>
>>> I suppose I should say, I viewed the Roll Call responses in the
>>> context of a couple weeks of debate about OS, where the online
>>> OS community should find its home, differing values around online
>>>  communication styles, and thoughts about OS and change.
>>>
>>> Peggy asked an interesting question recently: How do the Open
>>> Space principles help us both support and resist change and what
>>> does that mean for the evolution of OST and opening space?
>>> (http://tinyurl.com/yzg8nh9)
>>>
>>> So I invite anyone, anyone who was present or silently sat
>>> aside, who would like to reflect on the Roll Call to feel welcome
>>> to do so, and to perhaps consider the Roll Call in the light of
>>> recent debates on this list or Peggy's question about change and
>>> the future of OS.
>>>
>>> Cheers, Erik
>>>
>>> *
>> *
>>

>> _________________________________ Peggy Holman Executive Director
>> Journalism that Matters 15347 SE 49th Place Bellevue, WA  98006
>> 425-746-6274 www.journalismthatmatters.net
>> <http://www.journalismthatmatters.net/> www.peggyholman.com
>> <http://www.peggyholman.com> Twitter: @peggyholman JTM Twitter:
>> @JTMStream
>>
>> Enjoy the award winning Engaging Emergence: Turning Upheaval into
>> Opportunity <http://www.engagingemergence.com/> Check out my
>> series on what's emerging in the news & information ecosystem

On Dec 11, 2014, at 10:23 AM, openspacedk1 via OSList
>>> <oslist at lists.openspacetech.org
>>> <mailto:oslist at lists.openspacetech.org>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello all,
>>>
>>> Given we are a community working with open space,
>>>
>>> therefore able or learning to be absolutely present and
>>> absolutely invisible
>>>
>>> isn't what we see the only thing that could happen ?
>>>

>>> Greetings Gerard, Denmark

[1]

[2] http://newtechusa.net/dan-mezick/