[OSList] “regular lurker” + our OSTLIST web platform

Elwin and Joan via OSList oslist at lists.openspacetech.org
Sat Dec 13 19:10:34 PST 2014

Michael,

You sir are truly a give of God.

We all are in your debt.
Elwin Guild

      From: Michael Herman via OSList <oslist at lists.openspacetech.org>
 To: Patricia Haines <levelgreen2010 at gmail.com>; World wide Open Space Technology email list <oslist at lists.openspacetech.org>
 Sent: Saturday, December 13, 2014 1:22 PM
 Subject: Re: [OSList] “regular lurker” + our OSTLIST web platform

I think it was about 1998 when murkier, who started the list at boise state univ, suggested moving the list to a fancy up-and-coming platform called egroups. It was a threaded discussion email site. In my memory, must be the biggest and most energized conversation we ever had on this list. In the end, it was rejected. And where is egroups today?
At openspaceworld.org, since 1999, we have had discussion forums, wiki, wordpress group blog, but the I think the best thing we did was that I wrote some "about OST" stuff and artur de silva suggested that it ought to be in languages other than English. He volunteered to do Spanish andPortuguese, others did their languages too. The tasks were simple and defined and got done whenever anyone came forward and offered something. Now we have links to intro material in 17 languages I think. All completely unplanned, but supported by just keeping the site online.
In the meantime, there is a Wikipedia page, a Facebook group, a Ning community, the os hotline, and any number of regional lists and groups and meet ups of various shapes and frequencies.
it's easy to design and build a site or platform, but yet another thing to keep it going and up to date. And I don't think we can build anything and expect it to both replace an established community center and also grow past it, succeeding where every past effort has not.
At the same time, none of those prior offerings really set out to replace anything, I think. They all just offered something else. And that is an approach that seems very open spacey to me, to just do something, try something, offer something and see what happens. It might displace everything or nothing, but that won't matter. It's the offering, I think, that keep us going.
I'm glad to offer sub domain space at openspaceworld.org for anything that wants building and trying. Done this with many language wikis over the years.
I'm also getting ready to cleanup at openspaceworld.org, so anyone who wants to help think and do about that is welcome. It's the one big site/platform we have that's completely unconstrained by the structures imposed by service companies like Facebook. So we can do anything we want there to tie all the other things together, as long as we also find a way to maintain past contributions.
I always keep looking for ways for openspaceworld.org to virtually disappear, into just a set of links, something michael pannwitz suggested to me when the site was still just six months old, and in that way to suggest and demonstrate that os is much bigger than any of these platforms.
Michael