[OSList] Emergence in science and management

John Baxter via OSList oslist at lists.openspacetech.org
Sun Dec 7 20:34:44 PST 2014

Hi OSList

A few articles recently got me thinking about self org and emergence.

This article
<https://medium.com/sfi-30-foundations-frontiers/emergence-a-unifying-theme-for-21st-century-science-4324ac0f951e>
recounts how the Santa Fe Institute, after an initial interest in
emergence, watched 'complexity' emerge as the dominant focus for science...
but now feel that focus is swinging back to emergence, and that this is an
indicator of a broader trend in science from a reductionist focus towards
emergent phenomenon.

This article
<https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/article/20141204182934-23702-leadership-and-followership>
on on 'prescribed' and 'emergent' leaders could have been rewritten as
'formal' and 'informal' leaders (the latter self-organising, the wave
riders) and would make perfect sense.  Maria in particular will be very
familiar to many of you : )

It has me thinking about how strongly our human technology is linked with
natural sciences, and how the studies of both may be closer than I
realise...

And also thinking about the flow of knowledge from maths, through 'hard'
sciences to social sciences and technology.

Cheers

*John Baxter*
*Cocreation Consultant & ​Co​Create Adelaide Facilitator*
jsbaxter.com.au <http://www.jsbaxter.com.au/> | CoCreateADL.com
0405 447 829
​ | ​
@jsbaxter_ <http://twitter.com/jsbaxter_>

*Thank you to everyone who came, helped or spread the good word about City
Grill!*
*Summary and links: cocreateadl.com/localgov/grill-summary/
<http://cocreateadl.com/localgov/grill-summary/>*