[OSList] is our voting software dead?

Suzanne Daigle sdaigle4 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 28 17:26:36 PDT 2014

Facilitated a 1.5 days Open Space with an Agile/Scrum technology company a
few weeks ago. We did action planning on the last afternoon. It was a group
of 17, 40+ topics on the marketplace wall, and 16 topics discussed in
breakouts which were subsequently posted on the news wall.

I suggested a few options one of which included opening up space for
action.  In a quick post-lunch circle, the group suggested instead that
each initiator do a short "stand-up" for each topic sharing the highlights
and actionable initiatives that came up during their conversations or on
the spot.  Stand-ups are a current practice in the tech community. One
member of the group kept track of the time (5 minutes each; a few times it
went over); someone else captured basic information on an action sheet
designed for that purpose which included short description of the action,
initiator and names of those interested in joining. We used green sheets
for this, inspired by something that Linda Stevenson does when she
facilitates. A total of 16 action items were posted on the action wall in
three priority buckets. Energy remained high; engagement too!
Emergence/convergence seemed to flow one into the other with lots of active
participation. In the closing circle, everyone shared in a very personal
and moving way, as they often do...describing what the experience had been
for them.

By midnight, a complete book of proceedings was in their inbox -- detailed
reports and lots of photos capturing the intensity and passion of their
discussions.

The following day I received an email asking if I could facilitate an Open
Space for their entire company in early December --100 + people.

I just love this work and can't get enough of it!  That's all I can say and
I know many of us feel the same.

After that event and another the month before with a hotel and one coming
up with our own growing company, what resonates for me is this that
Harrison said recently:

"Folks get excited/motivated about what they care about. Period. Full Stop.
Nothing else. They really get excited when they are INVITED to join others
who care about the same/similar things. After that... just get out of the
way."

And the operative word I see in the world of work with Open Space is
INVITATION as was the case above. People were included and invited to
participate on the most important issue in their organization. Their
appreciation and gratitude in being included was mentioned more than once
at closing circle. What I continue to struggle with and noodle over, is
what happens when people return to their day to day environment.  I know
many are forever changed and yet I also know the struggles that our
outdated systems and designs impose on us.

Suzanne

>>> www.openspaceworld.com
>>> www.ho-image.com
>>> OSLIST To subscribe, unsubscribe, change your options, view the
>>> archives of OSLIST Go to:

Suzanne Daigle
Open Space Facilitator
NuFocus Strategic Group