[OSList] is our voting software dead?

Michael Herman michael at michaelherman.com
Thu Aug 28 12:36:05 PDT 2014

so you did a slimmed-down version of the old voting process, thomas?  how
did that work?  what did people text in?  issue names or issue numbers?
 and how was the tabulating actually done?  a proprietary tool or could the
total stream of texts be dumped into a spreadsheet, sorted and almost
immediately tablulated in that way?

and, on a less technical processing front, you've sparked another idea for
scaling these things.  with 500 people in the room, it could easily have
been possible (client willing and wanting) to "reopen the space" for next
invitations, next events.  bigger issues, next level of processing, in
larger (and perhaps expanding) groups.  more extending and expanding than
converging.  so the invitation in that opening is for participants to
propose follow-on themes, the sort of stuff that might usually have come
from clustering issues or votes.  reopen for new themes/invitations and
then put each new breakout group to work for one last session on sketching
out the invite, invite list (probably already done), logistics (probably
pretty straightforward), and documentation (already done, just add to
proceedings-to-date).  with large groups the next "meeting" options might
span from new events down to conference calls or email groups.  you'd still
get individual "actions" or "projects" being raised, but this spin also
allows for the largest sub-themes to emerge and advance in larger follow-on
events.  this also gets over the "hidden in plain sight" phenomenon, as i'm
always amazed how rarely people dealing with giant issues in open space
actually say, "hey, we could have another one of these meetings on just
this one issue!"  this "re-opening for next invitations" would seem to help
invite that realizing.

--

Michael Herman
Michael Herman Associates