[OSList] Open Agile Adoption experience report

Daniel Mezick dan at newtechusa.net
Wed Aug 6 05:52:54 PDT 2014

Hi Rosa,

/
//"...it's amazing how much energy can be freed up, when people are
willing to reconsider the assumption of needing to come up with "a
single action"/

Yes, and I notice that when the invite is really sincere, and people
feel they can opt-out with no sanctions, that is exactly what some of
the folks do. Especially the 2nd meeting, the one with far less novelty
about it. They just do what they want to do. "Everyone gets what they
want" from a sincere invite to Open Space.

Now, there are no formal sanctions (from the org) for not attending.
People are people and when the passionate and responsible show up, for
sure they notice who is and is not also present. Right? And what they do
with that information is up to them right? How each individual responds
to the new info is part of the process of continuous self-organization
and org-wide integration of the learning.

One of my current beliefs is that, when OST is used in organizations, it
has a huge "spectator sport" dimension to it. By this I mean one of the
great things that happens is the org gets new information about itself,
and what it wants, merely by observing and watching.

I notice that the 2nd meeting usually has more intensity. The people
have some experience with experiments now, and OST, and they pretty much
know who is passionate and who is not. There are usually fewer sessions
on the wall, and those sessions are much more focused on a few
known-to-be-very-important topics, and the sessions are typically much
more provocative.
/
//
//"...and instead begin to open to the possibility of having a
multiplicity of actions emerge."/

Yes, and so interesting: The people who end up in the closing circle of
the 2nd Open Space typically start DOING THINGS after that meeting. Not
just ONE thing. Individuals acting alone and more often in small groups
of 2,3,4 etc start DOING different THINGS, typically without seeking
"permission" (aka "authorization") from anyone whatsoever.

Its all very curious and mysterious.

On 8/5/14 11:18 PM, Rosa Zubizarreta wrote:
> Yes, great story, Daniel!
>
> One of the ways that my experiences with OST have profoundly
> influenced me,
> is in making very apparent, the futility and sheer madness of
> attempting to "get everyone to agree" to anything...
>
> One place where I often find people still deluded into thinking that
> it's "how many" that matters,
> is in some old-style social change circles... it's amazing how much
> energy can be freed up, when people
> are willing to reconsider the assumption of needing to come up with "a
> single action" that everyone will subscribe to...
> and instead begin to open to the possibility of having a multiplicity
> of actions emerge.
>
> The old idea of "strength in numbers" can be a hard one for people to
> let go of.. and yet there can be so much more power in small committed
> groups of people following their own inspiration... especially when
> there is reasonable communication among them.
>

> On Mon, Aug 4, 2014 at 6:01 PM, Harrison Owen <hhowen at verizon.net
> <mailto:hhowen at verizon.net>> wrote:
>
>     Wonderful story, and marvelous lesson: It is never about "how
>     many" -- but always about "Who cares, and how much." Those who
>     care ALWAYS make the difference. I think. Have fun!
>
>     Harrison
>
>     Winter Address
>
>     7808 River Falls Drive
>
>     Potomac, MD 20854
>
>     301-365-2093 <tel:301-365-2093>
>
>     Summer Address
>
>     189 Beaucaire Ave.
>
>     Camden, ME 04843
>
>     207-763-3261 <tel:207-763-3261>
>
>     Websites
>
>     www.openspaceworld.com <http://%20www.openspaceworld.com>
>
>     www.ho-image.com <http://www.ho-image.com>
>
>     OSLIST To subscribe, unsubscribe, change your options, view the
>     archives of OSLIST Go
>     to:http://lists.openspacetech.org/listinfo.cgi/oslist-openspacetech.org

(203) 915 7248 (cell)