[OSList] Management and Organization

Michael M Pannwitz mmpannwitz at gmail.com
Sat Aug 2 02:34:14 PDT 2014

Dear Bhav,

trying to think of you as a fluffy bunny gets me all wooshy-wooshy.

When I read about approaches that include such things as provocation,
getting folks to wake up and think, avoiding premature whatever, pushing
people to do this or that, increasing conflict... I know these are
various kinds of space invasions characteristic of the number one enemy
"control".

When I experienced, yes EXPERIENCED, these kinds of interventions in
os-events I facilitated I simply did nothing knowing that the system
(group, gathering...) will deal with this stuff as it sees fit...
usually expanding time and space for you-know-what...

Attempts to understand all this, make sense of it, designing whatever
based on the assumed understanding of all this is what I spend no time
on, as facilitator, knowing it will make me wooshy-wooshy and fluffy and
worse, all not good for my stance of "being utterly invisible and
totally present".

I see that it is a grand field of investigation for scientists of all
kinds and fun... ok, a real distraction from my facilitation practice
which I could get hooked on. In fact, I was hooked on this in my former
life...

See you in Belgrade (and all you others, too... I am so curious on who
all is coming... tension rising...)

Cheers
mmp

On 02.08.2014 10:12, Bhavesh Patel wrote:
> Hi Harold,
>
> I did 4 days of training with Dave Snowden. He is actually quite
> dismissive of a range of methods such as OST and AI, and calls the
> people who use them fluffy bunnies! His style is to be quite provocative
> because he wants people to wake up and think, he also calls six sigma
> sick stigma. He doesn't like people who he believes are relabelling
> existing methods as complexity methods.
>
> At the same time, he recognises that all these methods have value in the
> right context, and contextual applicability is a term he often uses.
>
> I asked him about Open Space, and within his
> paradigm/approach/understanding of complexity it does not fit in. His
> methods try to avoid premature convergence by breaking up moments of
> shared understanding or group think. His methods push people to scan
> more data and possibly unrelated data by increasing confilct, etc.
>
> So I think OST doesn't work for the way Dave Snowden wants to approach
> complexity, however that is different to the question of whether it is a
> method that does work in complex space. Personally I think it does when
> used appropriately.
>
> Hope that offers another angle.
>

> Smiles Bhav...
>
> I am grateful for ^
>

> On 2 August 2014 09:02, Harold Shinsato <harold at shinsato.com
> <mailto:harold at shinsato.com>> wrote:
>
>     Chris - thank you again for the mention of the Cynefin framework. I
>     very much enjoyed your youtube presentation about the framework to
>     the Art of Hosting Community at
>     http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRn3BM56W74. It was well worth the 55
>     minutes. I especially enjoyed your questions and answers section.
>
>     After I listened, YouTube presented a related video of a keynote by
>     David Snowden to a Lean, Agile & Scrum conference in Europe. His
>     talk is titled "Making Sense of Complexity".
>     https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6RfqmTZejU
>
>     I found his talk brilliant. I enjoyed the insights, but also the
>     challenges. David called himself a "Constructive Irritant" or a
>     curmudgeon. I'm not sure I'd recommend the talk to everyone in this
>     group - but there is one piece that was particularly confrontational
>     and important. I carefully transcribed it for you here. David
>     Snowden makes these remarks while showing a slide of a dragon
>     towering over two Knights, and one Knight says "Oh No! A big, evil,
>     DRAGON!". The other says "Quick! Somebody hold a meeting". Here is
>     what David says (it is at 49:05 in the talk):
>
>     "This sort of hold a meeting mentality, or worse still, I mean if
>     there was an Agile version of this, it would be 'Quick let's hold an
>     Open Space', because we can all have a nice time and nobody will be
>     challenged. Just to make a controversial statement: Open Space is
>     the enemy of innovation because it enforces consensus. There are
>     actually larger group techniques certainly which we and others have
>     developed which actually increase conflict because if you don't
> [...]

Michael M Pannwitz
Draisweg 1, 12209 Berlin, Germany
++49 - 30-772 8000

Check out the Open Space World Map presently showing 395 resident Open
Space Workers in 68 countries working in a total of 142 countries
worldwide: www.openspaceworldmap.org