[OSList] What would a harvest from a long OSList discussion look like?

Lucas Cioffi lucas at barkbest.com
Fri Aug 8 09:23:20 PDT 2014

Hi All,

So this week many of us are watching a lively discussion thread grow and
grow and grow.  It's awesome that it has received nearly 50 email replies
already from people all over the world, however 95% of the people on the
list aren't active in it yet, and of course that's OK.

For me and probably others, digging into such a large conversation becomes
a bit intimidating when the conversation is so large.
*Question: So, what would a harvest from such a long OSList email
discussion look like if it was to be useful to you personally?*

I'm asking the question above for two reasons:

   - For me: Aside from being a longtime OS enthusiast, I'm building a tool
   for large online conversations and looking for ideas about how to create
   meaningful harvests from them.
   - For all of us: Unrelated to my tool, maybe if there was an easy way to
   harvest/summarize these long and lively conversations on OSList, then it
   could give access to the conversation to those who do not have the time or
   courage to dive in directly.
   - New voices: The younger generations spend less time on email, so they
   largely miss out on the great knowledge that's shared on a list like this.
    So harvests might be one way to bring new voices to our conversations on
   OSList.

To get the most value out of a conversation, someone certainly has to ride
along and read most of it.  But the problem is that when someone chooses to
read one conversation in-depth, they are choosing to not read another great
conversation in-depth.  So I'm hoping that a harvest can help people when
they decide which conversations they want to invest their time in.

I look forward to hearing any suggestions!
--
Lucas Cioffi
Co-Founder, Bark!Best