[OSList] CULTUREcon2014 Boston June 26 & 27

Daniel Mezick dan at newtechusa.net
Fri Apr 25 06:44:50 PDT 2014

Greetings to All,

The agile CULTURE conference is a 2-day event we developed starting in
2013 when we connected Philadelphia (Day1) with Boston (Day2) with a
super-nice party bus that shuttled the speakers, the sponsors and the
organizers from here to there. We stowed some food, beer and wine on the
bus. And we enjoyed it!

We picked people up. We dropped people off. We had a time of community,
and connection as we took that trip. And we connected the 2 cities in
the USA most associated with freedom: Philly and Boston.

http://newtechusa.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/2012-09-13-10.51.02-224x300.jpg

We invited Harrison to come and keynote Philly. And he did! And we had
quite a good time there. You can see some good pictures, and get the
full story, here:

http://2013.agileCULTUREcon.com

http://newtechusa.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/2012-09-13-11.34.47-224x300.jpg

In Boston, we invited and got Dave Logan, the author of TRIBAL
LEADERSHIP, to keynote.

http://newtechusa.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/2012-09-14-08.39.18-224x300.jpg

My friend Dave Logan. He keynoted the 1^st CULTUREcon event

The theme of the first CULTUREcon was: "Freedom At Work". We taught Open
Space in Philly and Boston. And we influenced almost 400 people, many of
whom experienced Open Space for the very 1^st time, across the 2 cities.

*The History*

Our Agile user group www.AgileBoston.org
<http://www.AgileBoston.org>arranged the first-ever Open Space ever held
inside a public Agile event in Boston. And since then we have
experimented a lot. Since 2008 or so, we have been experimenting with a
format we call the "Agile Boston Format" or "AB Format":

...we offer a traditional conference in the AM, and do Open Space after
lunch with "multiple exit points" for participants, so newbies can ease
into it, or even opt-out.

They can observe, and opt out if they want. (They never do.)

http://newtechusa.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/2012-09-14-13.17.15-300x224.jpg

The 1^st agile CULTUREcon event. We got 210 people, the majority of whom
experienced OST for the 1^st time

This has been described in detail a previous post to OSTLIST (see a copy
of that post, from 2013, listed below.)

As a result of this format we have introduced over 2200 people to the
Open Space format over a period of 6 (almost 7) years in Boston. Dozens
of these people have gone on to arrange Open Space events in their own
organizations around Boston. This has resulted another 1200++ people in
the Greater Boston area experiencing Open Space--- for the 1st time--
inside their very own organizations.

Agile is a learning framework built on frequent experimentation. In
Boston, with respect to Open Space, we've taken that idea seriously.
Since 2008 we have been experimenting with various ways to bring Open
Space to organizations faster.

We've tried many different approaches.

Early on, we learned that people who did not fully understand Open Space
often shied away from pure public OST events, presumably because they
didn't get it. So we started thinking about how to address that.

We did experiments. Lots of them.

As I said we tried a 1-day format consisting of a traditional conference
in the AM and an Open Space event after lunch. The ½ day Open Space was
actually a kind of 'taster'. Guess what? Bingo. That idea worked. Really
reallywell!

The very 1^st time we tried we got 230++ people into a ½ day Open Space
event after lunch. No one left and everyone had fun. One guy told me
later they used it inside ORACLE in Boston. We were on to something.

*Bringing Innovation to OST Proceedings in Public OST Events*

In late 2010, we began noticing that many so-called Open Space events
during Agile conferences were actually deficient in several respects,
most notably the lack of timely, good-quality proceedings. Proceeding
were often messy, even shoddy...literally an afterthought. Often, there
were no proceedings at all!

In 2011 we innovated with respect to the generation of OST proceedings
in public Agile events. We produced high-quality proceedings that
everyone attending got the very same day. We filled the
"proceedings-gap" that was so evident inside most Agile conferences that
were using Open Space.

Here are those proceedings we produced in 2011, a searchable-text PDF
with the flip-chart artifacts from each session inside:

FULL PROCEEDINGS PDF Link:

http://newtechusa.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/culturecon-boston-2012-proceedings.pdf

Getting the proceedings done by the time the event ended in a public
event attended by almost 250 people was very tough... and we plugged
away, and figured out how to do it.

We later wrote a little report on how we did it.

As a result, the word got around. Shortly after that, Kennan Salinero (a
wonderful person who attended CULTUREcon) asked us to produce
proceedings for her DC Open Space event for scientists. We supported the
event by sending someone down to DC to help do the proceedings.

As I understand it, Kennan's DC event got some pretty good proceedings
out that day!

I did not attend, and I believe Suzanne Daigle did facilitate that
event, and knows more about it.

*The Present Day: CULTUREcon 2014 Boston*

We continue to experiment in service to improvement, like Agile
suggests. We keep trying different things. To bring Open Space to more
and more people, and more and more organizations. And this is what we
are doing this year with the CULTUREcon 2014 event, once again.

This year, we are doing a 2-day event in Boston, around a theme of
"Building An Amazing Workplace Culture."

The story behind the story is that with this event, we are presenting
Open Space as (perhaps) the very /best//tool for rapidly and effectively
designing and redesigning the culture of an entire organization./ The
2014 CULTUREcon June 26-27 in Boston is largely about teaching people
how to actually DO that....with Open Space... inside their own
organizations...

We are doing a 2-day event where the entire 2^nd day is Open Space AND
we are opening that space on the afternoon of Day1---after a morning of
traditional conference sessions consisting of a keynote and several
breakouts.

Is this Open Space heresy? Are we Open Space heretics? What the hell is
going on here?!?

After the Day1 conference sessions, we are doing the opening circle on
Day1 ... so people can sleep on the theme of the event, and really get
that deeper experience of Open Space that can happen when the event
spans a night of sleep. We've never, ever done this before, so we are
sticking our necks out. We could fail miserably. Or not!

ttps://pbs.twimg.com/profile_background_images/402058732/OpenSpace01.jpg

Boston, 2011. ½ day Open Space, 230++ people

*The Story Behind the Story*

The story behind the story of CULTUREcon 2014 is that the event is
literally a stealth "Open Space on Open Space." We have loads of
speakers from OSLIST coming, and giving talks. Esther, Tricia, Harold. A
few others! Guess what those talks are going to be on?

To build an amazing workplace culture, you'll need tools right? Tools
like Tribal Leadership triads...Scrum...Kanban...sociocracy...and that
clone of sociocracy we call Holacracy. Circle governance...World Cafe. Etc.

And of course: the really good one :) Open Space Technology.

Open Space is the tool, that typical people, in typical organizations,
can bring back to work, and use right away, and get big results.

And THAT is what CULTUREcon 2014 is all about.

It promises to be a great event, and we certainly hope to see you there.
We are keeping the price very very low, so that anyone and everyone can
afford to attend.

Event Link:

http://agileCULTUREcon.com

Related Links:

Open Agile Adoption

www.OpenAgileAdoption.com <http://www.OpenAgileAdoption.com>

CULTUREcon 2014

http://agileCULTUREcon.com

CULTUREcon 2013:

http://2013.agileCULTUREcon.com <http://2012.agileCULTUREcon.com>

Public-Event OST Proceedings:

http://newtechusa.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/culturecon-boston-2012-proceedings.pdf

<http://www.xp2014.org/program/>

Open Agile Adoption:

www.OpenAgileAdoption.com <http://2012.agileCULTUREcon.com>

Related OSLIST Post:

Reference: Posted to OSLIST on Wed, 30 Oct 2013 11:07:21 -0400