[OSList] "Parallel" Open Space at XP2014 Rome?

Michael Herman michael at michaelherman.com
Fri Apr 25 08:56:30 PDT 2014

Definitely a different experience leading a track rather than a whole
event. More work and less fun facilitating, but neither of those are deal
killers for me. Usually.

Another view that I encourage as strongly as I can get away with, in
parallel or serial designs, is one that understands open space as the
largest "container" that might have various "other things" inside of it.
Open space can hold other more formal pieces easier than it can be squeezed
into formal boxes.

Taking/testing this view sometimes let's otherwise rigid structures, rigid
only for lack of options or imagination, start to dissolve. Keynotes are
sometimes like that, and briefings of various sorts. And if I start with
the radical view that it all could happen in OS, then its sometimes easier
to end up finishing the morning of keynotes with an OS briefing/invitation
moment, like we did at agile/XP and made that parallel track workable.

In my experience, if they will/can start to see all of it as open space,
more and more open becomes possible.

Michael Herman
Michael Herman Associates
312-280-7838 (mobile)