[OSList] "Parallel" Open Space at XP2014 Rome?

paul levy paul at cats3000.net
Fri Apr 25 09:00:37 PDT 2014

I agree with Chris on this.

It saddens me when people become dogmatically purist about, of all things,
open space. Also the distaste for programmed conference is outdated and
childish. Open Space itself has changed the deeper orientation many people
have to scheduled events; often an programmed event can begin with an
opening circle and contain a wonderful interplay between planned and
emergent content.

I remember as three day conference I co-facilitated many years ago that
contained an open space day on day 2. It worked perfectly and even inspired
the way day 3 was more formally presented. Many of those day 3
presentations were wonderful and came alive partly because of their dance
with day 2. (Full story here
http://rationalmadness.wordpress.com/2013/03/04/stories-of-open-space-2-open-space-boats/
)

The resulting proceedings, published in a book are still on sale on
Amazon.com to this day.

Each year I am co-designer of an event in the UK called The Critical
Incident. here we don't run open space in parallel to a programmed
conference - we weave the two formats together. Some sessions are
preplanned, others arise out of a marketplace opened at the start of the
day in opening circle format. That event has been running since 2006 and
the alchemy between planned and emergent is energising, unpredictable and
wonderful. (Full story here:
http://rationalmadness.wordpress.com/2013/03/05/stories-of-open-space-4-dotted-open-space/
)

I believe open space purism, when it becomes fixed and dogmatic, generalist
and prescriptive, no matter how well intentioned, damaged open space in the
world, limiting it, and is also a bit hypocritical.

Play with it. It's about play and interplay and the dance of planned and
emergent. This almost religious distaste some have for planning and
scheduling is silly, even childish. Planning can often be a deeper and
longer-term form of emergence. Sometimes the circle opens weeks before a
gathering, and sometimes potential begins to reveal THROUGH a programme.

Perhaps those who don't think these blended forms work, are bringing a
purist mindset that creates a bit of a self-fulfilling prophecy. Sometimes
do it by the book, and sometimes let the in-the-moment book of life suggest
the pace and form.

Open space for opening space...

Paul Levy