[OSList] Creative NJ

Hulu Chen ch.hulu at gmail.com
Fri Apr 11 00:35:10 PDT 2014

Dear Pam,

We Shining Stone Community Action, a NGO
focusing on participatory community development in China, did several Open
Space for post-earthquake rehabilitation with community people and government officials in Sichuan. I'd like to
share our experiences here.

We think your concerns would not happen at
all, as Open Space is to bring everybody a free and easy environment. When we
did Open Space for post-earthquake rehabilitation
in Sichuan, everybody was excited that they finally got the chance to express
their ideas. They are the best people who know about their problems, so they
would like to contribute their ideas. Of course sometimes, they wish they
could speak out their long-term pressure underneath their heart. After that, they would rapidly enter into active problem solution.

As for local government officials working
on post-earthquake rehabilitation, they actively expressed their thoughts in Open Space. Most of them shed tears at the closing
circle, saying that they never had such a chance to express their ideas
before Open Space.

So no worries Pam, just do it!

Cheers!

Hulu Chen
 From: Pamela MarvinDate: 2014-04-10 21:20To: oslistSubject: [OSList] Creative NJHi Everyone,
   I am a member of the steering committee for Creative NJ. We worked with Suzanne and Chuni to Open Space here in NJ 3 years ago. Since then we have done Open Space Convenings in 6 communities in New Jersey ( with more planned). As you may know NJ were hit hard by Hurricane Sandy. Many of our communities are still struggling to get back on their feet. We received a grant to use Open Space to help communities focus their recovery efforts.  Our first Open Space convening is May 2, in my home community of Highlands. The planning is going well, but it has become clear that many of the stakeholders at this event may be quite angry/emotional and there entrenched factions. The concerns and issues likely to be raised, are closer to the bone than at our other meetings.  We would particularly like to hear about similar experiences with Open Space in highly charged, emotional situations. We would appreciate any direction or advice you can give us, but we know if all else fails we can follow Harrison's advice and take a nap.

Thanks for your help,

Pam Marvin