[OSList] Open Space and Boundaries

Harrison Owen hhowen at verizon.net
Tue Apr 8 12:48:07 PDT 2014

David - I have known Glenda for some years, and have always found her to be
bright, fun and contributory. She has some wonderful insights about self
organization, and she works very hard. As a good academic, she certainly
does her detail, sometimes a bit more than I feel I want or need, but good
for all of that. However, when it comes to enhancing our function in a self
organizing world (or Open Space), I suspect she is working a bit too hard.
She and her fellows have developed a whole series of approaches and
exercises which enable you to do what I find pretty much happens all by
itself. But that is probably just me. And for those of you who want to know
more about Glenda, I suggest her latest book --

http://www.amazon.com/Adaptive-Action-Leveraging-Uncertainty-Organization-eb
ook/dp/B00C3WSKV4/ref=sr_1_1?s=books
<http://www.amazon.com/Adaptive-Action-Leveraging-Uncertainty-Organization-e
book/dp/B00C3WSKV4/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1396971594&sr=1-1&keywords
=glenda+eoyang> &ie=UTF8&qid=1396971594&sr=1-1&keywords=glenda+eoyang

And now back to containers and boundaries. The issue (our differences) may
be purely semantic  - but maybe not. As I think back over lots of Open
Spaces, and more particularly what I might call the natural appearance of
Open Space (Tahrir Square, for example, or the coffee pot) I fully agree
that from the outside they all look like bounded/contained experiences.
There seems to be an inside and an outside, a container of some sort. But
the question for me: - Is that boundary/container externally imposed, and
therefore prior to the process of self organization as a precondition - or
is the boundary/container a PRODUCT of the process of self organization?  As
I read Glenda, she would opt for the former: Container as precondition. I
find myself coming down on the other side - The apparent container is
actually a product of the process. In a word, what starts out unbounded and
disassociated (random people and things) coalesces into a meaningful form,
or better, organism/organization - which is what self organization is all
about, I think.

I grant you that in an Open Space the "room" would seem to be a pre-existing
container, but I don't see it as essential. In fact I've "done" a number of
Open Space in the middle of an open field. And when you look at natural
occurrences, I think it becomes quite clear that pre-existing
boundaries/containers don't really have much to do with what is happening.
They may be convenient or inconvenient, but not determinative. The other
things you mention (time slots, bulletin board, etc.) don't fit for me
either. Helpful to be sure, but you can get along quite well without any of
it, or so I've found.

So what is going on? My sense is that self organization with humans (in Open
Space and/or everyday) commences when some sort of a vector of caring shows
up which draws people together. Someone, somewhere, sometime says, or just
thinks, "I care about... Not just a little bit, but I really care and am
prepared to take responsibility for what I care about. " If this
care/concern is shared - and others care for the same thing, but maybe in
very different ways... the ball starts rolling.

In Open Space, this caring is made concrete and specific with the
invitation. Of course, when the invite is sent out nobody has a clue whether
anybody will come... but if they care, they will come, and given a
date/place, electronic or physical they will all show up in one time/space.
The vector of caring will draw them in...

If the story I am telling roughly reflects the facts on the ground, I think
there are some interesting and serious implications for the role of the
facilitator and the function of the container. EVERYTHING is well on the way
before there is a facilitator in sight or container at hand. In a word, the
system, from the first moment of its emergence does it all by itself. We are
bystanders, midwives at best. And the container (whatever that might be) is
the product of the process ... and not the precondition or cause.

Harrison

Harrison Owen

7808 River Falls Dr.

Potomac, MD 20854

USA

189 Beaucaire Ave. (summer)

Camden, Maine 04843

Phone 301-365-2093

(summer)  207-763-3261

www.openspaceworld.com

www.ho-image.com (Personal Website)

To subscribe, unsubscribe, change your options, view the archives of OSLIST
Go to: