[OSList] Facilitating the Uncovering of Assumptions

John Watkins johnw536 at mac.com
Wed Sep 18 18:14:03 PDT 2013

As much as I love OST, and as much as I recognize the inevitability and desirability of emergent processes, as well as their power to engage and compel people, after some twenty-seven years (probably more, but at least officially) facilitating groups and watching groups engaged in deep conversation about important topics, I firmly believe there is nothing like the appropriate and creative application of a structure to a conversational problem or issue at the right time.  That is, so often as people talk, an idea for how to organize the conversation for maximum creative input emerges (and often it is someone with some knowledge of great process tools, though that may not necessarily be an official "facilitator") that dramatically increases the ability of the group to dig deeper and go further and achieve some intention or accomplishment they might not have without it.  An example is using graphic organizers, such as concept mapping tools, to organize the ideas that are emerging in the conversation.  Or analytic tools, or causal mapping tools, or ways to rank ideas.  All of these add value to conversation by providing structures that enhance emergent purposes toward accomplishing something of value.  So, to me, the challenge becomes, not, how can we get out of the way and let it all just flow, but how can we appropriately help guide the definition of the banks of the river so the flow is powerful and focused and dynamic?  Great questions, always, frame great conversations, per Harrison's point below.  And sometimes it helps to have a process to use to address them.  World Cafe is one such process that helps structure the conversation and guide the energy.  I see it as a creative tension.  I see it also as a necessary tension to address in how groups work together.  I'd love to hear others' reflections on this question.

John