[OSList] Super-small open space

Lisa Heft lisaheft at openingspace.net
Mon Sep 16 15:54:29 PDT 2013

… to which I'd say - as you've already committed to the host that you'll lead something 'if' - prep them really well about breathing when they first see what to their eyes does not look like something happening quickly enough, or 'enough' enough. And to remind them not to jump in themselves just to fill in the space because they got anxious. Just to breathe. Because once you start leading something - and you know this, Gray - the entire dynamics shifts, for the rest of the meeting. You've established yourself as holding that certain kind of power from that point forward - at least that's how it would be with most groups - you know your own group and its individual players best. I know that you have the nuanced kind of languaging and the physical-and-other presence to open and invite and name and breathe with them in a way that will open up so much space that there will be no need or reason to 'lead' anything.

Especially if you go out at sunrise to the water's edge and to see if you can find and watch the dragon boat practices happening under the changing sky, before you come in to facilitate each day… ;o)

Lisa