[OSList] technology mix no-no?

Lisa Heft lisaheft at openingspace.net
Wed Sep 11 11:36:26 PDT 2013

Hi, wonderful Magdalena -

I'll ask two questions and let my colleagues who have been exploring existing and emerging technology to use with Open Space answer about technology.

1) You say one participant is personally uncomfortable with the facilitator, and that the facilitator is a former member.
Is selecting that person as a facilitator something that serves the group and its diverse membership? Nobody is really 'neutral' but as you know, facilitators are often chosen *not* from the community / organization, its history, or as a person with an opinion / point of view relating to the work at hand - specifically so that diverse members will not feel uncomfortable, make assumptions... will feel free to bring their fullest selves to the work. Is it the most productive / most well-timed to have this engagement with that facilitator?

2) 'The two strongest proponents" will not be able to come. I don't know what you mean by what they are proponents of but... does this indicate another time is better for this retreat? For this task?

I would not 'give up on' using OST - I would ensure all other things are in place (objectives, desired outcomes, right date(s), right people, etc.) and then match process, design or method.

You may answer 'yes and we have considered x and y and everybody is feeling good even the person who is not comfortable with the facilitator.'
I'm just wondering not about the process part or the technology part but about the human part...

Good to hear your voice on the list,

Lisa