[OSList] I am fresh In the os community

Lisa Heft lisaheft at openingspace.net
Sat Sep 7 10:01:52 PDT 2013

Welcome Salva.

And well said, dear Florian.

I am one who thinks that yes, everything is worthwhile. Everything.

However: to me, the Law of Two Feet is about several things.

It is about stepping into what has heart and meaning for you. Stepping
in to sit in the unknown because there is truth there, stepping in to
ask a different question because you bring rich difference, stepping
in to claim your voice if you feel it has been erased, stepping in to
fully engage if the stories in your head were preventing you from
really truly listening to the stories being told and shared right next
to and in front of you. Stepping in out of wonder, and curiosity.
Stepping back in after having been elsewhere. About being seen, or
instead, fully witnessing for others.

It is also about stepping out and away. Stepping out when you feel you
have reached saturation and capacity. Stepping out when it is time for
you to care for yourself or your loved ones. Stepping out when you
feel all is going wonderfully and there are additional places you feel
you can contribute. Stepping out to breathe and have some nutrition
because it is better for the work. Stepping out to make space for
others to emerge as co-leaders.

When I explain the Law of Two Feet and the Butterflies and Bumblebees,
I explain it as the fact that self care is indeed care for the group,
and its work. Self care creates the space for maximum learning and
productivity. Caring for self, and others in doing so, is part of the
nutrient-rich environment that invites puzzlement, intuition, voice,
difference, engagement, release, energy and discovery. Butterflies
catch our eye just for a moment, and they are beautiful, and they
remind us to notice, and be amazed, and see things. Bumblebees are
deliverers of outsider questions, and interconnection, and cross-
pollenating ideas - not all of which are easy or comfortable, but all
of which are rich with nutrition.

I cannot know your world, Salva, but I feel your emotion, your
frustration, your gifts, and I feel you as community.

Welcome, Salva - we are enriched by your voice, your passion, your
concerns and your presence.

Lisa

Lisa Heft
Consultant, Facilitator, Educator
President Emerita, Open Space Institute US
Fellow, Columbia University Center for International Conflict Resolution
Opening Space