[OSList] A story of deep gratitude

Suzanne Daigle sdaigle4 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 30 02:53:17 PDT 2013

A client in Florida calls a few months ago. He would like me to facilitate
a retreat.  A new bishop, 150 pastors and a desire for them all to connect
deeply with community in each parish across the state. I will be away and
offer that perhaps someone else can do this or... maybe he, the client, can
facilitate as he has just completed the training with Lisa Heft at WOSonOS.

In the end, that's what we decide; I will be a sounding board along the
way.  I suggest one of our Millennial students to help... from WOSonOS.

*Last week it happened.*  And after I receive this...

*From the client*: a glimpse at the book of proceedings, my heart skips a
beat (or two) and these words:

"Lots of kudos. People want more. What do we do with it? How do we make
something come out of this? The right questions."

And about the student he says, "did great!.... I asked him to join the
closing circle. He owns the quotable quote: "How will you open space for
others ..."

*I forward this note from the client to the student. His reply last night:*

**"I can't even explain how amazing that experience was in words. It was a
totally different feeling of Open Space than I'm used to experiencing with
a group of participants unlike anything I've ever worked with. The process
highlighted the need for diversity in an organization in a way nothing else
could."

And then this also from the student:

"I read one of my favorite quotes before he (the client facilitator) opened
the space in the hopes of easing some of his concerns and he ended up using
it in his opening.

*The quote*:

"What I want you to know: That in any creative endeavor you will be
discomfited and that is part of learning." -Red Burns

And finally the student's closing words in his email to me:  "As always
with bountiful love"

 ______________________

I am so filled with gratitude about this...the Open Space itself and the
multi-generational partnership that it spawned. I have great hope for the
future in the way of a shared wisdom that brings so much to the world.
Like wow! I also know this will happen at WOSonOS in Serbia as it happened
in Florida. And indeed, there have been many many Open Spaces (12 at least)
in Belgrade with students, faculty, leaders in education and community and
meeting them, I see the same palpable quality and ignited spirit.

Humble and so very grateful,

Suzanne

**

Suzanne Daigle