[OSList] Education - the last frontier for OST?

Paul Nunesdea nunesdea at me.com
Wed Sep 11 11:23:47 PDT 2013

Dear List,

I am just departing from Zurich ETH (ranked 12 in top 100 universities) where I have made a presentation (The Perfect Learning Experience) in one of their Summer Schools.

I have designed my session in order to interact with the participants from all parts of the world and I was really surprised to see how the 'spirit' of OST was so evidently present.

Just at the start of my presentation well before I have started to talk about OST I asked this question - what do you think is the number one expectation of students in the XXI century classroom? I am copying bellow the replies I have got.

Does these resonate with other students' expectations you might be engaged with? Does anyone being a teacher has opened Space in their classrooms?

Question 1 - What would be the number one expectation of students in the XXI century classroom?
Inter-connectivity
Filtered information
Structured
Digested
Interaction
Active participation in the class
Coffee-like
Expectation
Freedom to learn what they want
Input
Individualised learning methodologies specific to the needs of each student that takes their strengths and weaknesses into account.
Captived
 ELearning
An inspiring teacher with whom one can have a real relationship
Taking home from the lecture as much as  possible  in order to have enough input to deepen it at home on your own.
Laptop for every student

Apologies if this reiterates previous discussions...
Cheers
Paul

From my iPad