[OSList] How to Design an Interactive Workshop - October 9-11, San Francisco

Lisa Heft lisaheft at openingspace.net
Mon Sep 9 21:41:17 PDT 2013

Hello, OSLIST friends - This announcement is not about Open Space -
however some of us are also educators - and our friends in other
learning communities are also educators. This message is about an
upcoming workshop for exploring how to design workshops, seminars,
classroom modules, trainings and other face-to-face learning in a way
that is learner-centered and interactive rather than lecture-based.
Thank you in advance for sharing this learning opportunity with your
colleagues and communities in education, training and content
facilitation, as well as anyone else you feel may wish to take this
workshop simply for the joy of learning with others.  Designing this
workshop has been fun because I have been designing how to design
designing something ;o)  As I write this I bow deeply to those of you
whose workshops and lesson plans I have experienced, read and heard
about - marvelous, interactive stuff...

___

How to Design an Interactive Workshop
October 9-11, San Francisco
[Wednesday evening plus all day Thursday and Friday]

Facilitated by Lisa Heft

International consultant, facilitator and educator
President Emerita, Open Space Institute US
Fellow, Columbia University Center for International Conflict Resolution
Visiting Expert, Sonoma State University Psychology Department,
Organization Development Program

___

Do you teach, train or offer other face-to-face workshop / classroom-
based learning content where you wish you could teach it without
lectures and without PowerPoint?

Join a diverse group of colleagues to

✴ Begin your learning design with objectives and desired outcomes in
mind - rather than the activities you might use
✴ Explore how to generate ideas about a topic and then think through
which are the key concepts to include
✴ Reflect on how to teach concepts in a participant-centered (rather
than trainer-directed) way
✴ Think together about the different ways different participants
absorb and exchange information - and design for those multiple
abilities and modalities
✴ Work with others to think up how to teach something that seems to
you so complex you have to teach it via lecture
✴ Imagine ways to create an exercise for participants in your
workshop, class or presentation that helps your learners really
understand and integrate the learning

This workshop is less about theory - although we will be talking about
'why' throughout. It is more hands-on - about thinking together of
ways to teach or present from a student / audience-centered approach.
Facilitated learning - rather than a delivery / lecture-based
approach. Join us to experience several ways of engaging participants
in their own learning. Plus if you wish you can bring a puzzle you
want to explore, about how to teach something that you would love to
do without lecture or without using a PowerPoint presentation - but
cannot yet figure out how to do it in another way. I will try to make
time within the workshop for folks to explore some of those real
puzzles. In other words: this is an interactive workshop on
interactive workshop design.

To receive more information describing content, schedule and pricing,
contact Lisa Heft at lisaheft at openingspace.net