[OSList] 5 things OS does

doug ost at footprintsinthewind.com
Fri Sep 6 10:06:29 PDT 2013

Friends--

Pondering on OS this morning, and came up with this theory of how OS
does what it does:

OS has the effect of bringing people into density. This increases
bifurcation points: choices. Examining its nonlinearity suggests that it
is not only bumping together that leads to surprising choices, but that
gathering makes accessible something akin to the collective unconscious
or memory, and further still, that it has a catalytic effect of stirring
up emergence. It does not require thinking beyond the local, immediate;
however, given that we are human and see beyond our noses, we are wont
to look for a bigger picture; and in either event, we affect the actions
of the whole by our local actions.

So the magic of OS is not magic at all. First, it is not about making
something happen for ego: it is precisely the reverse, taking us beyond
ego, even sometimes going so far as to kill the ego. Second, it has a
predictable quality to it, it follows a natural pattern, and is not a
miracle, a deviation.

But OS is dangerous. It can rearrange these elements, all there before,
and threaten the duration of those old ways and institutions. In the
same way a baby threatens the existing ways of his family, bringing, if
we have eyes to see, and stillness of heart to wait, the hope of new
strengths and life.

What do you think?

:- Doug.