[OSList] : Speech acts

Daniel Mezick dan at newtechusa.net
Sat Oct 26 11:06:41 PDT 2013

Howdy Harrison,
This background story on the "wonderful internal contradiction" does
explain the curiously dissonant sentence structure of "Be prepared to be
surprised."

"Be prepared to be surprised" is a directive, a structure that is
dissonant and might even be in conflict with the concepts of
self-management, self-governance, self-organization et al.

I have been studying, arranging and facilitating OST meetings for over 5
years, and I just noticed this curious fact for the 1st time.

Probably something to do with the books I'm reading lately.

And this guy:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_L._Austin
Austin pointed out that we use language to /do/ things as well as to
/assert/ things, and that the utterance of a statement like "I promise
to do so-and-so" is best understood as /doing/ something — /making a
promise/ — rather than making an assertion about anything. Hence the
name of one of his best-known works: "How to do Things with Words".

Kind Regards,
Dan