[OSList] Help please ~ In the invitation, how do I encourage participation in a whole multi-day event?

Michael M Pannwitz mmpannwitz at gmail.com
Fri Oct 25 06:50:52 PDT 2013

Dear Chris,
How about including this part of your email in the invitation, slightly
edited by me

"There has never been a meeting of this length in our community
before. We are all busy with work and kids, and some are asking,
"Can I just come to one or two of the days/sessions instead of all
three?"
Our meeting is part of a strategic planning process and includes both
in-depth discussion and concrete project planning for our school and
community.
Attending the entire meeting guarantees that you can introduce and
discuss your issues and also shape the needed actions and projects.
If you want to come to the whole event but cant see how it is going to
work for you, call us. We might help with baby-sitting, let your
employer know about the need for you to be at the gathering...."

So, as sponsor, I would first try to frame the invitation and other ways
of contacting potential participants for full-time participation.
AND invite people to call if they need assistance. AND I also have found
that folks attending part time (never experienced that all come
part-time) are taken in by the people at the event...

I have found (as facilitator) that people bringing their kids to such
events is grand... just make sure there is some space for them and food
and bathrooms and the participants seem to take care of it quite
naturally (after all its open space in which selforganisation turns
up)... and kids also are known to participate productively, they are an
asset!

With schools and community events and others that involve volunteers I
have experienced that a design on Friday afternoon (3pm until 7:30pm),
Saturday (10 am to 5pm) and Sunday (best started with a light lunch at
12:30, so that people dont have to cook) and action space from 1:30pm
until 5pm allows people to be at the event full time without missing too
much of work...

Have a grand time with your event!

Cheers
mmp