[OSList] OST / Gaming

Daniel Mezick dan at newtechusa.net
Tue Oct 22 13:23:49 PDT 2013

Great stuff in here; let me please address some of the juicer questions,

On 10/22/13 2:25 PM, Diane Gibeault wrote:
> Dan, you confirm that for Agile, the suggested practices (Scrum etc)
> are up for discussion during the OST, that invitation should be the
> way of doing business at every level, including the implementation stage.
Yes, and we must encourage the people to play.
Yes, and play is a censored term in most orgs, so in OAA we use
'experiment' instead. (the sanitized term for play)
> In that case, there are real advantages for Open Agile Adoption (OAA)
> to refer to these implementing practices in a more generic way.
> On the Agile web site, information on the implementation phase seems
> to be presented in a more prescriptive fashion, with specific
> structured methods listed. If that's not the case, I may have read it
> too fast or it's a presentation issue. Both can be easily fixed.
Can you please provide a link to "the Agile web site", where
"information on the implementation phase seems to be presented in a more
prescriptive fashion?" I do not know which site you mean...
> Naming one or even a few structured existing tools gives the
> impression there is a limited number of options and that there is no
> room for participants to come up with or create their own ways to get
> a job done.
> This can feel more like control and mandate, an opposite mindset to
> the "invitation" approach you favor Dan for Agile, an approach that is
> congruent with the spirit of OST which encourages invitation as a way
> of working and of managing on an on-going basis, so that organizations
> can be more agile.
Yes, and to be clear, a practice is 'agile' if it (at a minimum) does
not offend the Principles of the Agile Manifesto, seen here:
http://agilemanifesto.org/principles.html
....and the values, seen here:
http://agilemanifesto.org/

Ideally, a strong practice will strongly honor the Manifesto principles,
not merely refrain from offending them.
Scrum is a pre-fab set of practices and agreements (almost said the
G-word there...) that do honor the Manifesto.
Hence the popularity of the Scrum form.

<CONFLICT WARNING>

    Many 'agile people' will totally disagree with :

        "...a practice is 'agile' if it (at a minimum) does not offend
the Principles of the Agile Manifesto"

    Disagreement is perfectly OK. Let's suspend disbelief for now, and
proceed...

</CONFLICT WARNING>

And now to my point: they people can dream up any practice that fits
this criteria. If they do it is agile. They need not use Scrum, Kanban
etc. I always encourage them to dream and imagine and invent NEW
practices that fit them and their needs, subject to the Agile Manifesto
criteria. Now, it ain't as easy as it looks....
> Sharing tool ideas before and during the OST meeting is not precluded
> but how it's presented can make quite a difference on how it's
> perceived by participants, i.e., how open and real the invitation is.
Yes, and the way to address this is to put the training AFTER the
initial OST meeting in Open Agile Adoption. Because training before the
OST (instead of after the OST) sends the
"mandate/we-made-an-investment-in" signal. Agree 100% and join you in
this idea.
> Before an OS meeting, there is true benefit in reflecting on
> implementation with organizers but they should not become attached to
> tools or outcome. They must understand that the real discussion on
> implementation should take place during the meeting with all
> participants, and after with the emergent leadership.
Yes, and this is 100% the intent to Open Agile Adoption, because
ENGAGEMENT is the jet fuel of high performance. (not practices!)
> The IT industry tells us that a very large number of IT projects fail
> because they don't allow people to discuss and co-create the
> implementation; they have no sense of ownership.
Yes, and this is an epidemic train wreck of absolutely epic scope worldwide
> Letting the implementation systems emerge, allowing voices to be
> really heard, if not making a true choice of a way to implement
> whether it's a system or tool or not, all of this can create that
> sense of ownership.
Yes, and this is the name of the game 100%. When people are not making
choices, they are clearly not free to engage
> Dan you said earlier (Sept 30 OS List) 'I believe that people in the
> Agile/IT world (and people in general) tend to "medicate" their
> pains/worries/etc with processes. tools. frameworks. certifications.
> etc.'
Yes, and here is a blog post on that:
http://newtechusa.net/agile/medication/
> Leaving the implementation processes open as you said today, is likely
> to help reduce that medication mentality.
Yes, and one benefit is that peace can and will break out