[OSList] OST / Gaming

Jenifer Toksvig never at acompletelossforwords.com
Tue Oct 22 05:14:13 PDT 2013

Harrison, you said:

>> ...  our conversation always seems to have (must have?) some frame of
reference with certain metaphors and images. [...] It is not so much about right
or wrong but rather capacity to communicate. <<

It¹s all about Story, yes, absolutely. I was just saying to Dan in an email
that I had never heard of Agile until this conversation, so I went to read
all about it... and then had to stop reading about it because, as a story,
it makes me feel claustrophobic. Especially as a story that is being linked
to OST.

OST is my guide in so many ways. It¹s my comparison story: the thing against
which I find myself measuring life stuff.

- because it¹s not a story. Oddly, I think I made that strong connection
with OST because it seems to me that it is just how things are, rather than
how anyone might want to say things are. Which is not that odd at all,
actually, now I come to think about it.

Although I am not in any way religious, perhaps those who are feel the same
way: that their belief system is not a story, but the core truth of the
world. It seems strange to me that they wouldn¹t challenge it to make sure
it isn¹t a story in disguise, though. I challenge OST every day.

In fact, maybe that¹s what I mean by Œcomparison¹. I don¹t measure life
against it, so much as measure it against life, and I am continuously
delighted to find that it is simply a description of how life happens,
nothing more and nothing less.

How wonderful, how refreshing to find a true *description* in a world full
of takes and truths.

When I write stories, I think the characters already exist in the place of
potential, and all they do is choose me to be their conduit onto the page;
I¹m the right conduit for a specific few. I am not at all surprised that OST
chose you. Thank you for being open to being chosen, and for staying open
when you recognised it for what it was.

Jen x

Jenifer Toksvig
www.acompletelossforwords.com