[OSList] OST / Gaming

Harrison Owen hhowen at verizon.net
Sun Oct 20 08:37:11 PDT 2013

Jenifer - Marvelous tale! Seems to be following a useful progression from
theatre as only what happens in front of you (done to you), to theatre as in
the midst of you (the round) to theatre as happening all over. All have
their place, I am sure, and the latter does push some new boundaries. I
first ran into all of that with my youngest son and his Brooklyn friends.
New experience for an old dog... and just great. And I think there is a
broader, useful learning here, all about the frame of reference.

When we talk about something serious, our conversation always seems to have
(must have?) some frame of reference with certain metaphors and images. Each
frame provides a different point of view, and allows for some different
perceptions/learnings. It is not so much about right or wrong but rather
capacity to communicate. They are all different, and they all have some
positives. And we must choose the most appropriate for our purposes.

So with our current discussion about OST as a game. The fun part is that I
could easily find myself adopting your frame of reference and being very
comfortable, learn a lot, and feel that the discussion had moved in very
useful ways. Given a different set of conditions I might chose a different
frame of reference... and usually do. All of this can get very confusing,
especially for people who are concerned to speak "only the truth." I
seriously doubt that you can do that, and in fact I suspect the only way to
make progress in examining some "truth" is to keep talking around it. But
such is the finite nature of our language. We never can quite get it right,
but we can certainly point in some useful directions. I believe you have
done that. Thank you.

Harrison

Harrison Owen

7808 River Falls Dr.

Potomac, MD 20854

USA

189 Beaucaire Ave. (summer)

Camden, Maine 04843

Phone 301-365-2093

(summer)  207-763-3261

www.openspaceworld.com

www.ho-image.com (Personal Website)

To subscribe, unsubscribe, change your options, view the archives of OSLIST
Go to:http://lists.openspacetech.org/listinfo.cgi/oslist-openspacetech.org