[OSList] How to deal with having many languages in open space?

Carmela Ariza carmela_ariza at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 16 16:48:04 PDT 2013

Dear Diane,

Thank you for your input. This is a big help!

Cheers,

Carms

If there is to be any peace it will come through being, not having. -- Henry Miller

On Thursday, 17 October 2013, 1:57, Diane Gibeault <diane.gibeault at rogers.com> wrote:

Hi Carmela,

I will share my experience with and without interpreters.

First - Without interpreters as this is a
more common situation

I have facilitated an international OS
conference organized by an NGO who did not have a budget for interpretation. This in fact is more representative of my experience with OS where there is a mix of languages.

- Participants posted a topic in the
language in which they planned to start the discussion.
- I encouraged all participants to add in smaller
print, circled at a bottom corner of their sheet, their topic in another
language, one they were familiar with or they could ask another participant to
translate it for them.  I showed
them an example as I explained this so it would be visual and easier to
understand. The intent was to allow more people to understand the topic and
join the discussion.
- Participants were invited to use the
buddy system: participate to a given group along with someone who is familiar
with the language of the posted topic.
- A system of volunteers can be easily
created. Participants can volunteer to be language buddies as needed by wearing
an additional badge which indicates the languages they can offer help with.
- Independently of these systems, what we
know is that the resources are in the group – someone can do the interpretation
- and if not, if people care enough, the participant or the group, they will
find external resources.  I was in
a group once where  someone
interpreted from Spanish to English and I interpreted from English to French
and it worked wonderfully.
- In an OS where there are many languages,
often people select topics they want to join among those posted in a language they
understand. It’s a personal choice. OS is all about choices one makes. The law
of the two feet allows everyone to find the place the want in the given
context.

Now - With interpreters

I did an Open Space in Brasil with about
200 participants where interpreters simultaneously transmitted what was being
said in the large circle, in 4 different languages.
- I gave interpreters in advance, an
example of the OS opening points so they could get familiarized with the OS terms and
concepts. I also spoke to them about the spirit of OS so that might influence
their choice of words to better reflect the intent.

- For the discussion groups, a team of about of
about 8 interpreters was available in the lobby; anyone could ask them to join
a group as needed.
- In the groups, they would do consecutive interpretation, i.e. sitting
beside the person(s) wanting interpretation so they could speak in a lower
voice directly to them.
- When those participants spoke, their comment would be
interpreted in the language of the rest of the group (in this case, often
English or Spanish).
- The rest of the group would generally wait for the
interpretation to be completed before another person spoke, especially if the
statement being interpreted was lengthy.
- Often interpreters were not busy, as
participants were doing the interpretation themselves.

In either approaches, with or without interpretation, the experience of
helping one another creates a very special bond among participants.
That’s what we
say in the opening: OS is about collaboration and being creative.

Hope this is helpful
Diane Gibeault