[OSList] Open space in open spaces

Michael Herman michael at michaelherman.com
Tue Oct 8 06:47:07 PDT 2013

hi matilda!  interesting challenge.  holding such a thing on a beach or
other outside place is one thing, but in the busyness of a city is quite
another, i think.

i used to sing in a church choir, and once a year we had two simultaneous
dinner masses, church basement and school gymnasium, then everyone
proceeded out the side doors and up into the church from the two separate
spaces.  singing/chanting started in the two spaces and continued up into
the church.  everyone would sing in the two spaces, but as soon as people
got outside, in this case just 3 or 4 blocks from the sears tower (was the
tallest building in the world at the time) and all the other skyscrapers of
chicago, most everyone got quiet, except the choir folks.  we always tried
to spread out and mix in and support the others in keeping the chanting
going, but the vastness and energy of the city, even at 8pm, was so
different from the close quarters in the two masses, that it was hard to
keep the flow together.

it seems important to have some kind of solid boundary, more than a row of
chairs.  it might be hedges already in place, bright plastic tape, a line
of covered tables, with some obvious openings and signs to welcome/explain
(there is the issue of latecomers, as well, needing to self-orient).  it
seems important that people inside, presumably with some exposure, talking
about things that matter to them, be able to tell who's in and who's out.
 and everyone, early and late joiners alike, need a threshold to cross, a
way to know that they are IN.  i would think that any sort of fencing or
bounding would do, with just enough openings, so that people have easy
access and also have to make some small effort to get in.

if the space hasn't been chosen yet, or if there is any area in an
already-selected space, that is a few steps up or down from the main
passing paths, the difference in level is itself a useful boundary.  i read
research once that found that people walking by a park or other open space
won't walk up or down more than three steps to get into that space.  so if
there is a space that is separated from pedestrian ways by a few steps,
this will could make a good natural contribution to your bounding.

i think if it was me, i'd end up doing a lot of laps, bounding and
rebounding the space, all through the event.  this actually raises another
possibility.  will you be the only one facilitating/supporting this, or
might there be a small group of supporters (extraverts, i think!) who could
just keep moving along the perimeter, readily accessible to welcome and
orient new people?  might wear same colors or otherwise be equipped to look
like they're "together."

Michael Herman
Michael Herman Associates
312-280-7838 (mobile)