[OSList] (was) Open Space in schools - now: OST boundaries? constraints?

Artur Silva arturfsilva at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 6 11:32:23 PDT 2013

[This was (in unfinished form) in my drafts after so long that it
is probably useless now. But we never know for sure...]

Sorry Lisa and all, I have changed the subject again...

It is common in this list to go again and again to some topics.
And that is a very good practice, because it allows us to review our
convictions and assumptions from time to time. And the questions that Dan
formulated are very good, indeed.

But, in my opinion, it is also interesting to keep track of
what has been previously discussed. This topic reminds me of many dialogs in
the past but, in my memory, the most clear is a discussion about the
"Foundations of OST". If one goes to the Archives and makes a search
for "foundations" one will discover 10 messages, dated from 2009, all
with the subject «Anti Laws of OST -
Foundations of OST?» ;-)

If I may repeat myself, during that dialogue (and other similar
ones in the same period) I have tried to clarify (mainly to myself) what are
the preconditions that are needed so that we can say that an event is
"facilitated in OST”.

During the same period (2009) I have done some experiments of my
own, based on Harrison's assertions of "one less thing to do" and
that "the principles are something that always happens" (if the space
in really open).

The first experiment: in a series of events, during the opening, I
have not mentioned the 4 principles at all (they were 4 at the time) but I
have mentioned the law - and the events were similar to all the others (where I
mentioned the principles). In only one experiment I have not mentioned neither the
principles, nor the law: all worked almost like the others, but I found that a
much lesser number of people were bumblebeeing or butterflying around. So I
decided not to repeat that experiment.

My conclusions at the time: to state the principles is not
needed to have an OST event. But to state the law is helpful.

So, I wondered what the preconditions (foundations) are really
needed so that we can say that a certain event is an OST event.

If you want to see the musings at the time, go to the Archives. If
you consider that it could be of interest to have a new dialog about that and
review that list, please do so. I will catch up wend I will have some free
time.

Regards

Artur