[OSList] Urgent support for ideas for OS event tomorrow

Jamie Colston jamiecolston at googlemail.com
Mon Oct 14 03:05:59 PDT 2013

Dear OS List,

The open space I have planned with students, staff and governors tomorrow
is almost here. What has happened in the last few days is that I have
noticed a few things that I did not before.
The school have committed budget for me to come and work with the students
to empower them to make a difference in the school - However this is not
being backed up by their support in time. Only one of the staff is
committed to coming to the open space and lots of people dropping by if
they have the time. This is mirrored somewhat by the student population as
a whole who have responded to the invite by the leaders of the student
council to come to the open space. We have about 7 signed up self
responsibly out of a school of 1000. We have however got 6 governors
committed to joining us at the event.

What I know about the school is that they have quite severe communications
issues. They have a new head teacher who has taken on this project and who
I met and gave his blessing (supposedly) to the work. Students have felt
disempowered, not listened to and unaware of how to make changes in the
school because they have no real access to the staff in the school who in
the past have not attended the meetings they are needed at. There is a
genuine time issue and extreme pressure as with all schools.

The students are really keen to make a difference and there is a genuine
desire to help them do that. But it feels like no one here is taking
responsibility for making it happen.

Any thoughts welcome.
Many thanks

Jamie

*Jamie Colston*

Enabling young people to design inspiring events and host conversations
that matter to them, empowering them to find their voice and take practical
action towards creating a sustainable, peaceful and equitable world.

*M: *07909 442006 *E: *jamiecolston at gmail.com* *

*FB/Linked In/Skype:* Jamie Colston  *Twitter*: spearthwarrior

*Nowhere ecl  www.now-here.com/ecl*

*Green Vision Movement  www.greenvisionmovement.org*

**** <http://www.bathamptoncsa.wordpress.com/>* *