[OSList] OS for Dementia?

Charles Morrow-Jones morrowjones at gmail.com
Fri Nov 8 10:41:34 PST 2013

I've been lurking quietly on the list for a while now, but feel compelled
to speak on this topic, since my father suffers from dementia.

Please tread cautiously - dementia is not a single monolithic condition,
but rather ranges from somewhat mild forgetfulness to delusional states for
some, and near-catatonic states for others.  It encompasses Altzheimers and
a variety of other diagnoses.

I would suggest that OST could be highly useful for dementia *caregivers*
and that those folks, rather than the dementia sufferers, should be the
focus.

On Fri, Nov 8, 2013 at 12:52 PM, Elisabeth Tepper Kofod <
elitepperk at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear Doug... what a wonderful title!
> I have been revolving around the idea of opening space for families and
> our issues.
> With love
> Elisabeth
>

> On Fri, Nov 8, 2013 at 11:39 AM, doug <ost at footprintsinthewind.com> wrote:
>
>> Friends--
>>
>> Have been thinking that a population OST could serve in a major good way
>> is among people who have dementia. How?
>>
>> Perhaps we have a mixed group of people with dementia living in a
>> congregate housing setting and teenagers. We gather them in a circle and do
>> the normal things. The teenagers could help the oldsters remember the
>> instructions and post topics. The title could be “Issues and Opportunities
>> with Growing Younger Every Day.”
>>
>> How, if at all, would you change the normal format of OST for this group?
>> What other mixture of people would you invite? What other titles?
>>
>> Perhaps we could get family members to gather with them around the topic
>> “Issues and Opportunities to Still Be Family” or “Meet Me Here Today.”
>>
>> I wonder.... I invite you to wonder with me....
>>

> --
> *E**lisabeth **T**epper **K**ofod*
> *Facilitadora de Procesos de Transformación*
> Genuine Contact Professional & Co-owner
> Master Practitioner. Coach & Trainer PNL
> Terapia Sistémica - Constelaciones Familiares
> *A proud member of the Genuine Contact Leadership Management Team*
> elitepperk at gmail.com
> 58 212 986 4254
> 58 424 256 5855

Charles R. Morrow-Jones