[OSList] What to do when a conflicted and important part is missing?

Eleder_BuM eleder.aurtenetxe at gmail.com
Thu May 30 07:56:18 PDT 2013

2013/5/29 Harrison Owen <hhowen at verizon.net>

> Eleder – A painful pickle for sure! This may be one of those cases where
> that old favorite medicine of experienced physicians is the only cure:
> “Tincture of Time.” But I think there may be some alternatives, as well as
> a few thoughts about why your efforts to date have been less than
> productive.****
>
> ** **
>
> Taking these in reverse order – Why didn’t things work out as you hoped?
> Or more immediately, why didn’t the people come? The obvious and simple
> answer is that they didn’t care to. We have learned, I think, that good
> things happen when people share a common concern. There may be a large
> diversity of opinions relative to that concern, but they never-the-less
> care (hopefully with some passion) about a shared concern. That “shared
> concern” is the natural focal point for any Open Space and represents the
> core of the theme.

Hi Harrison, if I pay attention to the person of the (more or less
organised) group that didn´t come and spoke with me long, the issue (the
way to make decissions in the town,...) was really interesting for them. It
is, in fact, the origin of the big trouble.

But there is now strong pain, and they would no way like to gather in such
a space. During last years meetings have been hotter and hotter.
Disrespect, loud voices, even curses  appeared, seemingly.

Of course, there must be other subjects that are now more important and may
attract a more diverse representation of the town. This would, sure, help
the cure.

So your sage words inspire me some kind of strategy...

   - Take time to listen deeply to several people of  the town, the more
   diverse the group, the better.
   - Find out which their really hot subjects are, the ones that everybody
   would like to spend a day speaking and acting about.
   - Get many people involved in the invitation process. Invite them to
   "invite personally this one that otherwise would sure not come,...". The
   closing circle of the last Open Space session showed some people that are
   really feeling upset for the ausents beeing not there,...
   - Open space on those "real business issues", for the issue and
    specially for the cure and the reinforcement of trust,...

Michael, you say,...
*"if they in fact meet and follow the simple design I have described on
this list."*
*
*could you tell us more about  this design?

Thanks so much for your attention,

Eleder