[OSList] WOSonOS 2014/2015/2016 invitations

Lisa Heft lisaheft at openingspace.net
Mon May 20 06:05:27 PDT 2013

Well that is an interesting thing to think about, and something we
brought up in our own conversation last evening.
(By the way the fabulous Suzanne Daigle was part of our conversation
last night and you see my brain is fried by so much juicy interaction
I forgot one of the most important people of all, our gracious WOSonOS
host!)

So I love thinking of the 'devils advocate' questions when thinking of
design.

So there are some people who cannot make it physically to a WOSonOS,
but they can ask someone attending to represent them - as Arturo and I
did for the London Team when we were at the Chile conference.

If technology was available, and if it worked, and if those not-
physically-with-us colleagues had their own access to technology, and
and....
... then perhaps yes someone who felt so inspired (like who knows -
Access Queen gets inspired all the time to hold space for inviting)
could post that session some time in the conference.

And then there is the emergent inviter. The one such as Jasmina who
felt called and perhaps surprised that she sprang to her feet and
walked into the middle of the circle to invite.
(Jasmina of course you can describe your own thoughts and feelings - I
am describing a little of what I saw).

It is oh-so-easy when there is only one inviter. It becomes more
complex when there is more than one (country) inviter.

So my thoughts turn to many things.
- in our other work, what are other processes for feeling - sensing -
sharing what is invited, and exploring it to see what calls?
- is there a New Games / creative process that can offer this? An
Agile / Scrum process?
How to hold and welcome invitation and sit with it?
How to center the conversation on the inviters, and not our thoughts
about what should or could happen? (after all, it is the passion and
responsibility of the inviting country persons that is stepping into
the circle, and then we get all in our heads about it, and still...
the ones who stood up and invited are the ones who had the passion and
responsibility. How to hold that and not get all 'discuss-y'?

I was asked to host the process for invitation / imagining and then
sensing as a face-to-face group (and we had some of you watching and
commenting virtually) - so I used the process I have experienced in
the past 11 or 12 WOSonOSs I have been to. But I was not thinking. I
did not think of how it had felt to me in all those past years. It
felt not full of life. Not as vibrant as the discussion sessions.
On the other hand, people have written or mentioned that that sitting-
in-the-fire-see-what-shifts process was a really interesting
experience. Not so much 'and now we are going to do this.' 'and now we
are going to do this.' But truly - my body goes crazy, it can go on
for hours, and yesterday I realized while doing it it was just like
those 'consensus' processes which feel to me like ' the last person
standing / with the stamina to stay in this conversation remains /
gets to make the decision'. Because it is as nutritious as it is
exhausting.

So my thought is - and I had said this in Closing Circle - there are
some WOSonOS traditions I really love over the years. You can guess
that one of my favorite traditions is Global VIllage and Silent
Auction and all the Access Queen seen and unseen actions and
relationships. But other traditions may be meant to be released, eh?

Such as this way of invitation and decision.
Call it what you will, decision or otherwise - it helps us travelers
and those with less financial abilities to know in advance where the
next one will be, because for many people it takes quite a long time
to generate the relationships and resources that will help us get
there - whether 'it' is in our own country or across the world.

And of course there are and can be OSonOSs all over the place,
whenever they want to happen. But there is something special about
this particular coming together, shared back and forth and across the
world.

It is morning as I leave Florida for home.
Just wanted to share some of the thoughts playing in my head this
morning.
What do others think?

Lisa
(see you in Serbia! - if I say it, I know it will happen...)