[OSList] Online OST in written form - is it possible?

Lucas Cioffi lucas at athenabridge.org
Mon May 13 11:50:48 PDT 2013

Hello there Kári, Anna Christine, and Fellow Passengers on the GTOL (Great
Train of Life),

As we all know, (and despite our best efforts!) some aspects of in-person
communication are simply not possible online.

But online technologies can still be very, very useful.  I advise blending
the two-- online participation methods can be tremendously helpful leading
up to an in-person event.  After all, opening space is just a method chosen
to achieve a goal.  Online technologies cannot open space in the same way,
but a creative facilitator can often use these tools to work towards the
very same goal-- whatever it might be.

For those considering online dialogue, I've been working on a software team
to create four inter-operable tools (brainstorming, deliberation,
summarization, and voting) that an innovative facilitator can mix & match
to suit the needs of the event.  Here's a YouTube video explaining how
these four tools work: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u86rgM_RG_k

For large numbers of participants, everyone sees a random selection from
the conversation, identifies the most compelling ideas, and the system
sorts those to the top.  I'd advise that the lifespan of a conversation
should be 2-3 weeks so that it does not last too long yet gives
participants enough time to check in every now and then.  3-week
conversations can be combined in a chain so that each one builds on the one
before or you could run them in parallel with independent groups and
compare the results-- there are many possibilities.

*I'd be interested in hearing what other online methods facilitators have
recently used with success.*

>From my perspective, OST is a combination of many component methods and
techniques-- indeed each person on this list has likely customized the
process in some way.  *Which techniques would you most want to see
replicated in online tools?  *We've built four tools (for brainstorming,
deliberation, summarization, & voting) and we're looking to build a few
more to add to the suite.  Our vision is that facilitators might decide to
use one or more online tools prior/during/after an in-person event and we
figure that these tools should be interoperable to reduce friction for
participants.

Lucas Cioffi
AthenaBridge Inc
Board Member, National Coalition for Dialogue and Deliberation
Charlottesville, VA
917-528-1831