[OSList] How to assess the effectiveness of an OS Meeting.

Harrison Owen hhowen at verizon.net
Sat May 4 06:49:32 PDT 2013

This is a very interesting discussion. The desire to assess the effectiveness of OS is surely justified and rational. That said, I’ve never really understood what would be gained. In my experience (the only point of reference I haveJ) – the “ OS results” are typically so far off the charts as to be “unbelievable.” To give an example, when my friends from AT&T designed their Olympic Pavilion in 1996 we had a very nice comparative measure. The same people had to design the building twice. The first time, using “standard procedures” took 10 months. The second time around, using OS – it was all done in 2 days. And all the designers, and everybody else I talked to agreed that the second effort was a major improvement aesthetically and structurally. Using the common criteria of “Increased Productivity,” we are looking at something like a 15,000% increase. The AT&T exec in “charge” called it magic – a fulsome client assessment. Now armed with this “data”, what do you think would happen were you to walk into the office of a potential new client and say, “How would you like some magic? An increase of productivity by 15,000%?”

There are other problems with the utility of “assessment.” We aren’t going to change the “process” if for no other reason, we did not create it. Further, every situation is unique – while the “process” is unchanging, everything else will be different. Different people, different environment, different issue. Apples and oranges for sure. Should we venture into the realm of cost/benefit analysis regarding OS vs some other “process” – we are once again “off the charts.” It is true that while you CAN agonize, plan, and organize endless for an OS event, you really don’t have to. Given the space, issue, and people – you are good to go in several hours, and you only need one facilitator, who is prone to take naps.

I am not suggesting for a minute that there is no learning nor value in a careful consideration of what we do and how we do it – but the standard comparative metrics don’t get us very far, I think.

Harrison

Harrison Owen

7808 River Falls Dr.

Potomac, MD 20854