[OSList] Read/update/comment on WOSonOS notes NOW!

Ben Roberts ben.roberts at charter.net
Wed May 22 08:34:07 PDT 2013

In an earlier message, our fabulous leader Suzanne noted that "you will hear
more about our experience in our briefing book, which will take longer to
prepare than typically happens after an  Open Space because we have much to
share.  So please be patient with us!"

Yes, AND. Because we used Google docs to make our News Room virtual,
anything that has been posted there has been accessible to the world from
the moment it was first written. So you are invited to go there now and.

1.       Simply read what was posted

2.       Update and expand upon the notes for sessions you attended to help
us get a more complete record of each conversation for the briefing book. We
expect to keep the docs editable for another week or so, after which we plan
to freeze what is there as a permanent record. If you need more time to add
key content, let us know and we can give you extended access.

3.       Continue the conversation by commenting on the notes using the
"comment button" in the upper right for general thoughts and/or highlighting
a particular section and using the Insert/Comment feature to start a thread
about that piece of content in particular (see the notes from the "OST in
Written Form
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1yCpzaJkw3cw-4VYEaDfwmfUhFfievWw_MwKk_VN
poY4/edit> " conversation for an example of both types of commenting)

Please note that it is important that we make a distinction between the
types of additions to these documents described in 2 and 3 above. We want
the body of the doc to reflect what was actually said in the session, while
the comments are a good way to add additional thoughts. This is true both
because there is value in keeping a clear record of the conversation itself
and because the comments are time stamped and linked to notifications for
those shared on a document, allowing people to easily notice that a new
thought has been posted (whereas if you simply type it into the middle of a
doc, people who have already read the notes will have no way of recognizing
that as something new).

Here is the link to access the virtual News Room: www.bit.ly/wos2013news.
Note that there are four subfolders-one for each day and one for "multi-day
virtual sessions." Within each day, there are sub-folders by round.

Hopefully all this isn't too complicated! Feel free to email me and Aaor
(cc'd here) for some help if you need it. It sounds trickier than it is.
With a bit of experience, I believe we might all quickly become comfortable
with this new approach and find that it offers some significant advantages
over the use of a platform such as Word for the News Room.

Cheers,

Ben

Ben Roberts

The Conversation Collaborative