[OSList] Conversation with Tricia (And Suzanne)

Lisa Heft lisaheft at openingspace.net
Sun Mar 31 16:10:09 PDT 2013

Hi, Ms. Tricia -

I guess the only thing I would add to these wise words from my
colleagues is...

I learned from the international HIV/AIDS community some decades ago a
wonderful phrase: "Not about us without us".
So my recommendation is to be careful not to design some incredible
thing with passionate colleagues for well-intentioned care and
support... without being asked to do so, without local voice informing
throughout. In development, in pre-work, in execution, in follow-up.
Because otherwise you run the risk of what well-intentioned countries-
who-like-to-help people always do - running over good people in
community, erasing them with love and good intent. Like a big friendly
dog knocking you down with kisses and running all over the flowers in
your garden with its enthusiasm and love. Know what I mean?

Brava on all that you are doing, inviting, creating, welcoming.

See you at the WOSonOS in Florida in May,

Lisa

Lisa Heft
Consultant, Facilitator, Educator
Opening Space