[OSList] research paper on Governance Project in Haiti

Suzanne Daigle sdaigle4 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 27 17:08:50 PDT 2013

John, Thank you for sharing this thoughtful and provocative report.
Provocative because it shares the magnitude of the Haiti hurricane story in
the stark reality of it, humbling in the admiration of courage of the
people and celebratory in the dignity, respect and deep wisdom at the heart
of the Good Neighbors Project. So many parallels with Village Care in
Africa.

When I first read Paulo Freire's, Pedagogy of the Oppressed, which is
referred to in the document you sent, I felt helpless in the privilege I
was born into as a white woman living in the US born in Canada.

Open Space, in the invisibility of the facilitator role with a "getting out
of the way" and letting people assume their own leadership, was seminal for
me.  That said what you are doing in Haiti, what David is doing in Africa
makes me feel grateful to be part of this amazing community with the people
in it.  Never in my lifetime would I ever had the chance to be exposed and
hear the stories that you are living and sharing be it you in Haiti, David
in Africa or Claudia in Egypt and  Jordan and so many others everywhere.
Another reason to feel that this OS list is extraordinary and Open Space a
life giving gift.

Love and appreciation going your way,

Suzanne

On Wed, Mar 27, 2013 at 4:47 AM, John Engle <john at haitipartners.org> wrote:

> Good morning friends on OS List,
>
> Many of you expressed interest in the governance contract that Haiti
> Partners received from Habitat For Humanity. We were contracted to help
>  members of a village of 300 homes that Habitat For Humanity built with
> victims of the earthquake to develop a governance plan, homeowners'
> association and democratic practices.
>
> We modified our Circles of Change program to accomplish this. Open Space
> Technology is an important component in our Circles of Change training
> program.
>
> Here's link to a downloadable research paper about Habitat For Humanity
> Santo Village and the process of creating a governance plan:
>
> http://haitipartners.org/wp-content/uploads/Engle-Warnick_Bornstein_Lizarralde_UAA.pdf
>
> With gratitude for being a part of this community... and gratitude for the
> words of encouragement regarding our work in Haiti,
>
> John
>
> *View the color of democracy at Children's Academy*<http://haitipartners.org/2013/03/the-color-of-democracy-at-the-childrens-academy-dedication/>
> ___________________________
> John Engle
> Mobile: 202-236-6532 and 011.509.3136.6495US Office:  772.539.8521
> <http://www.haitipartners.org/> <http://www.haitipartners.org/><http://www.haitipartners.org/><http://www.haitipartners.org/><http://www.haitipartners.org/>
> <http://www.haitipartners.org/>
>

>  <http://www.haitipartners.org/>
>  <http://www.haitipartners.org/>