[OSList] inquiry OS

Harrison Owen hhowen at verizon.net
Tue Mar 5 08:55:48 PST 2013

Kari -- Voluntary Self Selection is the key. To quote from The "User's
Guide" -- "voluntary self selection is the absolute "sine qua non" for
participation in an Open Space(pg 26)." I wrote that about 25 years ago, and
nothing has made me change my mind since. Yes it is true that people who are
"told" to come will often find themselves creatively engaged, but that is a
dicey call, and how much better it would be if they came of their own free
will! After all this IS OPEN Space!!

The first  words out of my mouth when dealing with a sponsor is that
"attendance will be voluntary." To be sure this can occasion some
interesting conversations, and some sponsors are so unsure of themselves and
their people that they simply can't believe that people will come if it is
voluntary -- which says a great deal about the quality of the workplace
relationships... and not much of it is good.

In the recently concluded OS that I did with the US foreign aid people for
Africa, I made the pitch, and they were horrified. Some of the committee
were positive that absolutely nobody would come, and all the rest seemed to
be biting their tongues hard. But I made it clear that was my first
condition for participation. I give them credit for going ahead, but the
truth of the matter was that the situation was so critical (as they saw it)
that they didn't have much choice. Desperation, I have learned, can help
people do the right thing :-)

As previously reported, the opening day of the gathering did have problems
-- but they were occasioned by the fact that twice as many people came as
were predicted. In fact of the 180 people in the Bureau, 177 came. Of the 3
no-shows, two were terminally pregnant, and 1 was out of the country. It all
begins, I firmly believe with Voluntary Self Selection.

Harrison

Harrison Owen
7808 River Falls Dr.
Potomac, MD 20854
USA

189 Beaucaire Ave. (summer)
Camden, Maine 04843

Phone 301-365-2093
(summer)  207-763-3261

www.openspaceworld.com
www.ho-image.com (Personal Website)
To subscribe, unsubscribe, change your options, view the archives of OSLIST
Go to:http://lists.openspacetech.org/listinfo.cgi/oslist-openspacetech.org