[OSList] Smallest group OS

Lisa Heft lisaheft at openingspace.net
Mon Jun 24 16:52:32 PDT 2013

I have also seen people post the principles and law on the wall and
not mention them, or only say the text of the principles and law
without explaining them. And the group does not really receive the
understanding of the invitation to move around and take care of
themselves, value even a group of one, sample in the marketplace, and
so on.  It doesn't have to be an explanation that goes on for hours,
though I have come to see that even facilitators who are more
illustrative in their languaging do not get in the way of the group -
it's cultural. It works. But in my observation, people don't often
have the model to get that you do not have to stay in a group for the
full hour, that you are amazing even if just one person in a group,
and so on. Unless there's a bit of explanation, even a short bit.

And yes, I've seen people look at what a process looks like from
looking around the room / having been a participant, and think that
that's the process. And that's just what the process *looks* like.
There is more to the knowing and the practice of something than just
what it looks like to the eye...

Not that you have to be a professional facilitator to do it
wonderfully. Just that in my observation there is a difference in how
the process is held and invited - as if you can tell which folks
facilitating have studied it further (self-study or any other kind of
study), and which are just doing a circle and a wall of topics. Which
you can call anything. And it can be fabulous. But I wouldn't call it
Open Space.

Lisa