[OSList] Highly Controversial Group

Lisa Heft lisaheft at openingspace.net
Fri Jul 26 14:39:31 PDT 2013

I would add to everyone's wise words -

It is not just the slice of time you have them in a meeting.
It is also how invitation, relationship-building, messaging, design of
time... all of the pre-work - supports the success of a dialogue-based
meeting.
The higher the conflict, the more time for relationship building
before the event, the more useful timing, placement and type of /
inclusion of food is, the more time (ideally) you want for people to
be able to name their story, feel fully witnessed, and feel heard. Not
changed, just heard.

Plus it is good to really look at documentation design - what is the
capacity and reality of what will be done with the information and
ideas and relationships generated at the event, after the event.
As we all know, a single moment does not necessarily change behavior.
Ideally, this event is designed in to sort of a chain of gatherings,
actions, events and relationships that are designed over time.

I know you may not be able to change some of those 'must-have's', Ceci.

Like delivery of information (rather than engagement).

Can that happen before people arrive, in any other way.
Can it happen in a creative way, showing diverse voices.
What will it do that either confirms peoples' existing positions or
makes them mad or agitated. Does that help. Does that fit the
objective for bringing them together.

Is there anything that can be shifted, moved, adjusted - so there is
more time to unfold into conversation and discovery, so the reflective
thinkers have voice, not just the quickest responders.

What is the messaging - how is it being described.
Recommendation: leave any word about anxiety or discomfort out of your
theme. If you name it, people will hold that.
What is the nature of invitation. Is invitation / invitation strategy
about individual outreach, one-on-one communication, so that everyone
coming in the room has a welcoming person they have already met, even
if online.
Pre-registration - can also give you a chance to share information and
tone - and to gather information to support every individual.

Design of name tags. Can they be just first and last name (large so
people can see across a small conversation) without any title or
organization.

I know you are asking about 'what if x happens in the moment'.
But there is more than that to support the best possible situations.

And then you prepare yourself. You eat. You sleep. You stay hydrated.
You use all your tools. You breathe. You welcome.
You look ahead at some 'what-ifs' such as what if something runs a
little longer than expected - can you design in a bit more time, are
there bowls of fruit to pass around if things run a bit late (both for
nutrition and for a moment of people sharing with each other) to bring
in the room if running late makes people tired, things like that.

You open the circle mentioning perhaps not the anxiety - but perhaps
at the 'whatever happens' description you can say that people are
welcome to name what was, what should be, what isn't - but they also
have a chance to share thinking about the new story, that begins now,
if they wish. Up to them.

And then you remember that we are all with you.
Like a flock of butterflies standing lightly on your shoulders,
witnessing, believing in you.
And believing in each of those people, and their passions.
Perhaps one of us butterflies landing lightly on the shoulder of
someone in the room who has anger or anxiety. Witnessing for them, as
well.

And then you remember you have a peaceful center. Because you do.

And then you take it where it goes. Because you did everything you
could do to prepare, and now it is time to dance the dance.
So wear comfortable shoes ;o)

We believe in you,
Lisa