[OSList] 1,000 participants in 4 hours

Lisa Heft lisaheft at openingspace.net
Fri Jul 12 16:30:29 PDT 2013

I'd agree with Chris. I've done these things with several thousand
people (Michael P you have great experiences with larger groups,
Harrison, Peggy H, Christine W-S, Mark M also - and perhaps some of my
other dear colleagues) - and yes, a huge huge room so you can have
that many discussion circles, and a bit of timing 'padding' for people
to be able to get places. In other words, you can make a one or 1.5
hour session (back-to-back sessions) but know that it will take some
time for people to read, move and arrive. So I, too would not reduce
the time to 45 minutes per discussion. However I have done 1-hour
sessions.

You can have people make their topic signs on flip-chart pages if you
think they should be larger.

Here's what I would also say: If for any reason - cognitive,
intuitive, feelings in your stomach - you feel this is squishing
people to rush them (so that only the quick responders can have voice,
but not the reflective thinkers) - or if you do not have enough time
to do full-form Open Space (enough time for agenda co-creation,
ideally more than one discussion session, and some time available for
even a sampling of participants' Closing Circle comments and
reflections (stepping up to the microphones for the x amount of time
remaining) - depending on the objectives and desired outcomes, I would
take a good look at whether a process such as World Cafe might be
better to achieve those objectives in that amount of time. If Open
Space, all good. If not - still, a dynamic interactive engagement
through dialogue, which also builds relationships and understanding.
You know this, Sharon Joy - when our passion for a process overrides
our knowledge that we are stuffing it into every opening we see.  And
you also know what it feels - intuitively, in your cells, when you
stop and get really really quiet - what is the right thing to do.  And
you also know that we are all behind you.  (okay if they could stuff
about 700 more people into that room ;o)

For anything this short, I would stress - documentation design -
something realistic, doable, useable post-event - is an important
thing to discuss and prepare for.
Because I am assuming that this group - as most groups - deserve the
power of their words, the knowledge across the room (not just the few
groups they each got to), a list of who gathered for what topics (so
they can continue connecting post-event if they wish) and some sort of
information to use in their diverse ways post-event.

On this list we've shared thoughts over the years about how long it
takes for Opening Circle for larger groups. Our conversations over
past years - and my own experiences hold true (do yours, other
readers? other experiencers?) - are that no matter how large the group
is - it seems to take no longer than one hour 15 minutes for Opening
Circle (including instructions / invitations about process) and agenda
co-creation. Chris - as I say - you may have experienced it
differently. I'm guessing that is because energy finds its own level
(like water) and listening to many many people naming naming naming
even the most interesting and intriguing things eventually becomes a
bit tiring for brains and bodies.

We're saying all this of course without a bow to how different
cultures communicate, name things, express... so if it is not an
'instant this / instant that' (or youth) culture, I want to add that
you may well know, Sharon Joy, Luchie, Franklin and others how timing
is different specifically in Open Space in your own country culture.

Back to site.
When I have a large event, I set up ... imagine a cross. A 'plus' sign
( + ).  I am in the center on a small platform. The 'arms' of the
cross are the widest aisles. The aisle from me to the Agenda Wall is
wide and open. The other 'arms' / aisles of the 'cross' have sign-
making tables and a microphone at the end of each of those stations.
So that means there are three mics, three places for people to make
topic signs. I simply keep turning in the center to indicate next
person, next person, next person... and people name their topics
pretty quickly, and traffic moves pretty smoothly. Picture in those
four quadrants of the room - in each quadrant for example, 25 or 30
circles-of-chairs (the discussion areas). I have used letter or number
signs on the ground in each circle, plus big 'arena' signs on the
walls to show people how to navigate the huge room.

Anyway, you my colleagues may do it differently - and that is all rich
learning for us all.

And yes, I have found that talking through everything from traffic
patterns and safety (clear pathways if there is an emergency, fire
codes), placement of furniture, enough room in front of the wall or
walls used for Agenda Wall for many many people, how many signs can
really truly be put on a wall so everyone can reach or see them (in a
huge event, maybe only one flipchart page row, or two 1/4-flip-chart
pages / 2 rows along a wall), signage, lighting, time for the facility
to set up that huge a room, sound, visibility, signage, documentation
design and collection - that is usually what takes more pre-work /
communication / imagining / back-and-forth-with-the-site time than for
smaller events.

Again: that's just me, my experiences, my way of looking at it.
This is a great and useful conversation for us all...

Lisa