[OSList] An offering! (Nasty Banks!)

Harrison Owen hhowen at verizon.net
Tue Jan 29 07:39:51 PST 2013

Eleder – As you may have noticed, we had a few problems with Banks here in
the USA. Some of it was due to outright incompetence, some to criminal greed
and  some more to simple mistakes (both honest and stupid). All told it
looked like another day in Human Land with the good, the bad, and the ugly
and a net result that Banks in general became #1 on the List of folks you
love to hate. Been there.

But all that said, Banks are an essential part of our economic life and we
certainly need to take them to task when they do some of the darker things
that they did. At the same time I believe we need to encourage them when
they take some positive, albeit faltering steps, for example the video. Most
of all, Banks (like all other human institutions) desperately need some
broader open space. Having had several (banks) as clients I can say that
these poor folks ( and I really mean that) spend their lives in suffocating
conditions filled with rules, regulations, pecking orders, petty power plays
– to the point that they are isolated from each other and most especially
from the world beyond. One effect of this is that when some part of their
system goes seriously off the track and displays truly sick behavior, that
pathology is amplified by the closeness, not unlike a bad abscess. Carrying
the analogy – the first step towards a cure is to let in some fresh air and
light (open the space). Given the space/time the conscience of their
colleagues has a chance to clean things up, and when the space is opened
even wider, the whole community can render the same function.

I don’t think this is rosy-eyed idealism
 Fact is, Banks are just another
part of humanity, and sh
 does happen. And when it does, some fresh air
helps. So it seems to me that anytime we have the opportunity to open some
space, we should seize that moment. Maybe the opening is just a little bit

but you have to start somewhere.

Harrison

Harrison Owen

7808 River Falls Dr.

Potomac, MD 20854

USA

189 Beaucaire Ave. (summer)

Camden, Maine 04843

Phone 301-365-2093

(summer)  207-763-3261

www.openspaceworld.com

www.ho-image.com (Personal Website)

To subscribe, unsubscribe, change your options, view the archives of OSLIST
Go to: