[OSList] Supporting the blind at an open space event

Harold Shinsato harold at shinsato.com
Tue Jan 22 02:25:45 PST 2013

Thank you Michael & Harrison,

The need for the American Disabilities Act (ADA) of 1990 reflected a
need for a change in consciousness to support those with disabilities.
Despite a professional requirement to understand and look at Section 508
of the U.S. Rehabilitation Act when government contracts for software
companies started to be directly impacted in 1998 because of the changes
to that law to support digital accessibility, I still felt an inner
"humbug" when I saw most of the best parking spaces left empty in public
parking lots because they were reserved for the handicapped.

The movie "Music Within" helped me understand. It's the true story of
Richard Pimentel who lost his hearing in Vietnam and became an activist
for the ADA. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Music_Within. This movie
depicted directly something you said, Harrison, when they showed how
someone with cerebral palsy became the center of attention in a
restaurant because there were no facilities to make it possible for him
to come into the restaurant himself, and he had to be personally carried
up the stairs. What was worse was the depiction of how his disability
made him a target of discrimination.

I really appreciate both having the faith, as a facilitator, that those
without eyesight will be able to get their needs met and the community
will support them and work it out. Yet I do wonder if there is also a
need as an event organizer to do something to make it possible for those
with handicaps to navigate the event without the need for them to be
highlighted or stand out. It might be a bit confrontational to hear this
- but even our community has challenges supporting the handicapped.
There were no elevators or ramps at WOSonOS 2011 in Berlin to over half
of the session locations, which made those with mobility challenges
unable to attend those sessions.

Michael, several of your suggestions seemed like they would help support
the sight impaired. It might be a little extra work, but having someone
transcribe the session announcements and times would help the blind, but
would have other benefits. I've heard reports at some of my open space
events that accessibility to the schedule wall was an issue especially
right after the morning sessions are announced and posted. I've been
thinking getting a larger wall would support that, but I also
specifically heard that the event was overwhelming to those with social
anxiety. I can't help but think having a way to find sessions by going
to a website could support that - and enable a lot of the technology
that is available now for the sight impaired.

     Harold