[OSList] 1st OS tomorrow! - last minute advice re: client resistance?

Tricia Chirumbole tricia at investorswithoutborders.net
Mon Feb 11 23:04:02 PST 2013

Hello all!

I am facilitating my 1st OPen Space tomorrow and lookingly heartily upon
the challenges being presented as good learning opportunities, BUT....a few
things are worrying me a bit about this particular circumstance....last
minute advice or good juju welcome!

   1. The focus is on "hands on skill transfer/learning among company
   members" - I was comfortable with this, but it was revealed this afternoon,
   in addition to having a number of things that people want to learn about
   overall, the group has a number of urgent projects that need work done that
   can't wait until we're done - so part of the idea was to make this a part
   of the learning experience, which is great and I also felt confident with
      1. BUT.....one of the principles is having a hard time letting go of
      his top down mgmt and wants to include priority rankings for some of the
      projects and is suggesting we need different lengths of time slots since
      some items will require a deep dive - so I am worried about this added
      complexity, former more than latter - I have ideas about how to work with
      this, but am interested in ideas from those with experience.
      2. Also, they have what I think is an exceptional amount of issues -
      We all work in different cities, so today was a beginner's session to our
      meeting, and they tricked/pressured me into allowing a brainstorming
      session on the topic - which was great but revealed a HUGE list of r5
      flipchart pages of items across only 13 people! In addition to
the 3 pages
      of project tasks.
   2. I was even getting some push back on the removing of the table and
   continued confusion...which is why I kept trying to tell them that it will
   be explained in detail tomorrow and will become clear and simple....this
   was all hastily decided upon with minimum discussion between me and the
   principles...

any advice welcome! Want to add that the one principle is very open and
very deferential to me and the process, whereas the other one wants to be
open, but keeps putting up roadblocks in almost every breath - they are
great people and I think I can address these issues, but still a little
concerned!thank you :_))))

--
Tricia Chirumbole
US: +1-571-232-0942