[OSList] OS for "Dysfunctional Organization"

Harrison Owen hhowen at verizon.net
Sat Feb 9 09:01:32 PST 2013

Some little while ago I reported doing an OS for what the sponsors described
as a "dysfunctional organization." As you may recall, not only did the OS
"work" (as usual) but the assembled group worked together with such energy
and efficiency that I could see absolutely no indication that they were
"dysfunctional." In fact, they were brilliant. I did suggest to the sponsors
that they might want to think about how their day to say "system" might have
contributed to the perceived dysfunctionality, because the people themselves
(all 177 of them) seemed to be just fine. Anyhow, the conversation
continues. and a group gathered to talk about using OST in their work lives.
A colleague reported.(edited to protect the innocent.)

"Well, about 7 people showed up the meeting this afternoon to discuss
implementing OST in their work lives.  The 7 are all very interested in OST.
All but one had attended the retreat Jan 10-11. Each had a partial idea of
what it is, but all seemed very interested.

They agreed to read the book as the first step -- one suggested we handle it
like a book club and meet every so often to discuss assigned chapters. They
will get their own copies with a few more for walk-ins.

When there was a question about whether the organization benefitted from the
session -- proof we've resolved or can resolve the issues people addressed,
the lady who was most fearful about soloing OST replied, "I think the two
days themselves were the product. I don't look for anything past that" ...
Amazing!

One person said you didn't do much to earn your money, and we replied with
one voice, "Harrison would agree with that!" .. I reminded them about the
story you told of your friend who said you were "operating a big scam," they
seemed to recall it and laughed heartily. I added that you had only agreed
to conduct the session if you were 100% confident the Director would support
the employees' decisions as to what actions to take. XXXX elaborated on this
point by describing the Director's disbelief that "a contractor" wanted to
interview HIM as a condition! .... I could see the smiles on people's faces.
A couple of people lauded you -- especially easily and confidently handled
the opening and set them at ease. There were misgivings expressed as to
whether they should even try to do this. How could they possibly learn it?
So we again chirped a Harrison-ism, "It's all in the book!"

Harrison

Harrison Owen

7808 River Falls Dr.

Potomac, MD 20854

USA

189 Beaucaire Ave. (summer)

Camden, Maine 04843

Phone 301-365-2093

(summer)  207-763-3261

www.openspaceworld.com

www.ho-image.com (Personal Website)

To subscribe, unsubscribe, change your options, view the archives of OSLIST
Go to:http://lists.openspacetech.org/listinfo.cgi/oslist-openspacetech.org