[OSList] raising spirit revisited

Chris Weaver chrisgweaver13 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 3 18:18:53 PST 2013

Hi Michael,

Posing your inquiry this way, I think there is lots to talk about.

Both Harrison and Birgitt Williams have paid close attention to the grief
cycle as an aspect of what's happening in any organization.  I haven't read
Waverider yet, but I imagine that there are many connections.  Describing
my own interpretation of concepts I have gathered from a lot of learning
with Birgitt:  In a world of constant change, most humans suffer from the
results of our ego-attachments, in that changes, even "positive" ones, can
send us into a cycle of "grieving" as a way of integrating those changes.
 Based on Elizabeth Kubler-Ross's work, we tend to go through the steps of
shock-anger, denial, and memories before we are ready to reframe and move
forward, and often we cycle through these stages numerous times and not
necessarily in a linear fashion.  I believe that both Harrison and Birgitt
have recognized that when folks are in these earlier stages of reacting to
change, their "spirit" is not fully available for the forward-thinking
qualities that make an OST experience joyful and full of externally-focused
momentum.  My own view is that of course spirit is always present, but when
we are attached and grieving in the face of change, the spirit applies
itself to healing, which manifests in lots of ways, some challenging, some
internal, some appearing "unspirited" on the surface.

Of course, OST works magic for all of these processes too.  But there are
other ways.  From the standpoint of an organizational leader, member,
"participant," I think that there are many choices available for how to
"inspire" people, and that most of them relate to transpersonal healing in
some way.  That's fodder for a whole other discussion.

But I also think that there is another aspect to people displaying a lack
of inspiration, at any time, including in an OST meeting.  This is simply a
lack of awareness of purpose.  In many organizations, we come together as a
bunch of folks who are spiritually asleep.  We're not aware of individual
or organizational purpose ~ not "mission statement" purpose, but the deeper
purpose that is always in the realm of mystery ~ the mystery that
*is*reality.  I imagine that readers on this list have a wealth of
personal
reflections about  the process of "waking up," of achieving greater
awareness...and of how to facilitate awakening in others (which according
to the mystics is all about becoming aware oneself).

Back to the quesiton, "Was Jesus a waverider?" ~ Having not read Harrison's
book, I don't know have an answer, but I happily share my own understanding
that Jesus is certainly the reality of an aware being inviting awakening
(healing) in "others" across time and space as we know it.  In other
words, *raising
spirit.*

Make sense?
Chris