[OSList] Elevator Speech of Open Space Consulting for Student Leaders of university POSTECH

Suzanne Daigle sdaigle4 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 28 09:08:02 PDT 2013

Dear Spark,

My heart skipped a beat when I read your note... that you will be opening
space with student leaders at Postech. Not surprised to see they are Top
University -- so inspiring to see the major strides on Education coming
from South Korea. We have much to learn from you in the world.

I sent a note to our Partner Millennial University students or recent
graduates from our recent WOSonOS event and here's what I said:

Dear friends,

Sending you a quick note in case you felt inspired to *say a few words
“from your perspective” to Spark*, a very dear Open Space friend in South
Korea.   I will be responding on the OS list to say that from my
perspective “less said is more” and that what will be more important is to
keep the conversation focused on the issues and opportunities that are
important to the student leaders now.
I know you will smile as I did when you read the words Spark has written
because now that you’ve experienced the power of what Open Space ignites
inside of us, there are truly no words to describe it.  In fact, we almost
forget that it happened so busy are we connecting in deeper more special
ways with others on the projects, dreams and initiatives that we are
passionate about – people that we may have met in an Open Space or people
that we reached out to  in a more authentic way, more self-confident,
determined and committed way.

Spark I don't know what and if there will be any replies.  All I can say is
that it did not take much (a first event, a quick taste and that's all) for
the students to "get Open Space" and to charge ahead.

It's so interesting how much I still struggle with Elevator Speech words to
describe Open Space. Inevitably I feel myself sounding almost religious  as
soon as I open my mouth to describe it or worse as if I was madly in love.
I wish I had a bit of Paul Levy in me (short, concise) and that's it.

I remember when Harrison came out with his book Wave Rider with the tagline
*"Leadership for High Performance in a Self-Organizing World"*.   I
resented the word High Performance equating it to High Productivity at all
costs which seemed the single-minded bastion call of organizations. I've
always wanted more than that from the workplace. I wanted the spiritual,
bring your full self to work too

Now I've matured and realize that unleashing leadership, individually and
collectively, to be the best that we can be, fully engaged in life is a
deep form of high performance. Plus they are words that people can
understand well enough.
.
So Spark.. perhaps you might find that the Wave Rider tag line words above
are sufficient.  And then truly the conversation can be steered to what's
important to them, the students leaders who have a great deal to
contribute. I offer you this short excerpt - 3 minutes - that Michele
Norris a friend who was part of our WOSonOS Team put together.  It's from
an interview at DAVOS Switzerland with Millennials
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B0hJ8JesQDPAN1ZHN3UtZHJOUnc/edit.  I think
the description words are what Open Space invite an unleashing of Youth
Leadership at a time when the world needs the hearts and minds of many, not
just of few.

Have fun and enjoy every minute of your upcoming Open Space time!   Suzanne

On Tue, Aug 27, 2013 at 11:12 AM, 박영도 Spark.osk <spark.osk at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear friends,
>
> We are about to do a 4-hour Open Space meeting with student leaders of
> university POSTECH. (this university has been nominated The Times Newspaper
> in England as the #1 Univ. for two consecutive years (2012~2013) among
> universities around the world, which are founded within 50 years).
>
> This elevator speech is prepared to ground student leaders before the
> event in their quater on 13th September.
> ~~~~~~~~
>
> Open Space Consulting
>
> Open Space Consulting is a Self-Organization consultancy that releases
> human potential of every member of a social gathering toward a meaningful
> yet unknown outcome.
>
> ♠Underlying Force of Self-Organization
> -Primordial urge that drives anyone of OS gathering to self-lead one's
> life tgat is meaningful both socially and personally.
>
> Any comment would be much appreciated...
>
> Riding waves of politically tumultous water in Korea ;-)
>
> Spark
> Director, Open Space Institute of Korea

Suzanne Daigle
NuFocus Strategic Group