[OSList] Open Space funerals

Kári Gunnarsson kari.gunnarsson at simnet.is
Wed Aug 14 05:39:58 PDT 2013

Dear Open Space friends

and, hi Tomas

This dialog brings my mind to the school of death and the school of life.

In the local radio (Iceland) last spring there was a curiosity discussion
around the school of death exhibition in the NY based Family Business
exhibition space. The discussion was based around the literary study of
suicide note. I dug around and found a link from nytimes discussing this
installation.

http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/05/19/a-class-focused-on-goodbyes/

with the breeze from Iceland
Kári

On 14 August 2013 08:28, Thomas Herrmann <thomas at openspaceconsulting.com>wrote:

> Dear friends in Open SPace
> I might have missed something in this thread. I am inspired by the idea
> but to me this is more like opening up space for storytelling - not really
> using OST. Or did you also think about an agenda wall, marketplace, having
> breakout sessions…?
>
> I love the idea of using the circle inviting stories to be shared - sads,
> glads and mads - and just as Christine wrote, even better to have it before
> I die (-:
>
> I have had some conversations with a colleague of mine around the idea to
> offer a workshop for anyone who would like to plan his/her funeral… Might
> sound bizarre but I am sure important for many. There an OST format might
> be one way to go.
> All the best
> Thomas Herrmann
>
> 14 aug 2013 kl. 03:44 skrev James Sheldon <queerpedagogue at gmail.com>:
>
> Maybe you could make some cash offering pre-arranged OST funerals and
> memorial services - like, someone pays upfront
>

> On Tue, Aug 13, 2013 at 5:10 PM, Kári Gunnarsson <
> kari.gunnarsson at simnet.is> wrote:
>
>> Now I feel like I should go and have a talk with my local funeral
>> parlours and give them a little written pamphlet about the open space
>> funeral services offered by the certified open space funeral directors.
>>
>> I had planed to go to the London Wosonos when my grandfather died. We,
>> the grandchildren met up to share stories about our time with him. I still
>> feel some untouched discussions that I like to have, perhaps an Open Space
>> format would have been nice.

> --
> @ james sheldon
> @ http://www.jamessheldon.com